Deer processing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love processing deer. Have a 3/4 HP Carnivore grinder from Cabella's, a sausage stuffer, vacuum sealer and all the toys to go along with them.
It's a two day job to get everything processed and ground. Then the sausage/jerky starts, not always immediately. Sometimes a month or so later. Buddy has one of those grocery store sized Hobart slicers.
I've used a couple of YouTube videos of how to make sausage, but just can't find the recipe that matches my taste. Some of the commercial mixes at sporting goods stores aren't what I'm really looking for either.
I use LEM seasoning and I add my own twist. I usually add mustard seed, coriander seeds and other seasonings. The LEM jalapeño sausage mix get a bit more of jalapeños flakes added along with some cheese. I guess the only reason I get theLEM brand is because is convenient. I usually wait and get the seasoning when they put it out on sales. I get the casing in large bundles so I can save up a little more.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
DONE. Spent 5 hours processing the doe I shot last week. Quarters and backstraps have been in the refrigerator in the garage for 7 days. Deboned, trimmed fat and silver skin, slice backstraps into steaks, packaged some for stew meat the rest was ground and mixed with some 73%/27% ground beef to add some fat while grinding. Good for another year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom