Detroit police officers fight each other in undercover op gone wrong

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/loc...-fight-each-other-in-undercover-op-gone-wrong

DETROIT (WJBK) - An internal investigation has been launched at the Detroit Police Department after two different precincts got into a turf war as they converged on an east side neighborhood.

Neighbors who live on Andover on Detroit's east side will be the first to tell you this area is known for constant drug activity.

"Definitely a drug problem in our neighbor for years," said one resident," but I don't think anyone can stop it."

On Thursday Detroit police certainly tried -- but maybe too hard.

Sources say it started when two special ops officers from the 12th Precinct were operating a "push off" on Andover near Seven Mile. That is when two undercover officers pretend to be dope dealers, waiting for eager customers to approach, and then arrest potential buyers and seize their vehicles.

But this time, instead of customers, special ops officers from the 11th Precinct showed up. Not realizing they were fellow officers, they ordered the other undercover officers to the ground.

FOX 2 is told the rest of the special ops team from the 12th Precinct showed up, and officers began raiding a house in the 19300 block of Andover. But instead of fighting crime, officers from both precincts began fighting with each other.

Sources say guns were drawn and punches were thrown while the homeowner stood and watched.

The department's top cops were notified along with Internal Affairs. Each officer involved is now under investigation as the department tried to determine what went wrong.

"You've gotta have to have more communication, I guess," said the resident. "I don't understand what happened about that - communicate."

FOX 2 is told one of the units had body camera video that detailed the entire incident. That is now part of the internal investigation and we are working to get our hands on it.

We're told top brass doesn't plan to comment on this until next week.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
No different than deconflicting operations on the Battlefield between Military units. Not that tough to do, but ya gotta share information and that is where it all gets tricky.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had an issue years ago where and OKC officer and an OHP officer was killed in a collision because they didn't' share communication between them.
I know our gun club put on a fund raiser to buy radios to share and I hope it has been resolved since then. Can't say if I ever heard the results of that getting shared.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Before I retired, our vehicles were being equipped with multi-channel digital encrypted radios that allowed us to talk to OCPD, FD, or OHP. It was sill in the installation stages when I left.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had an issue years ago where and OKC officer and an OHP officer was killed in a collision because they didn't' share communication between them.
I know our gun club put on a fund raiser to buy radios to share and I hope it has been resolved since then. Can't say if I ever heard the results of that getting shared.
OCPD can talk and listen to OHP metro channels only, so there is some interoperability, but patches can be made to create a talkgroup if needed, usually for mutual aid type stuff, wild fires, tornadoes etc. Once we go P25 next year, it will be easier, more so if/when Firstnet becomes available. But OHP also uses VHF/UHF/800 bands as the digital stuff doesn't reach as far as they need it to, so unless we get a statewide network like Firstnet, there will always be some issues.

Latest posts

Top Bottom