DHS involvement in Child Support

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DHS should stay the hell out of your lives unless 1. You are doing something wrong 2. you are not careing for your child correctly 3. you are not paying or are continually late, etc. All this "automatic" bullfeces is just that. Where the hell do they get off forcing themselves into the private lives of someone who is in no way doing anything wrong.

Welcome to the machine.It's all a part of the big takeover.

P.S. i'm sure for some it works great, and for those, cool....but overall they have NO business meddling in the lives of people doing the right things by their kids.

I got divorced like 22 years ago and my ex told the lawyer she didn't WANT there to be any child support written into our divorce, because she knew i would ALWAYS support my son ( 1 year old at the time) and didn't need any "department" telling us what should be done...but he told us, tough...the state does it. So She had him write up a seperate statement that she personally refuses and "child support" payments from me. So he did and it was all official etc..etc as far as her and I went. Don't know how that would have went over with DHS, but i never made not one "child support" payment to her in the 17 years it took for my child to turn 18. Now.....we had "joint" custody...but He was with me 90% of the time. I paid for most everything his whole life. I paid for his insurance, i paid for his needs, i paid for school related stuff, i paid for medical co-pays, i bought clothes when he needed them, i bought almost everything his whole life. I bought his "toys", paid for sports stuff, etc..etc..etc. When he got older, i paid cell phone bills, i paid for cars and car insurance.

I'm not saying this 'cause trying to make myself out to be some great person or anything, but because i know there's TONS of dads (and Mom's) out there that do the same thing and more....because regardless of their marriage situation, their children are their lives. So in those cases, who needs DHS having ANYTHING to say about ANYTHING?

just my opinion

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't think so. GC's ex- wasn't on any kind of assistance. I don't recall the statute but I do recall that unless the judge granted you an exception it was mandatory. I imagine you could find the statute on OSCN.net if you were really interested. I'm gonna defer to Danny's wife since she does this for a living. :)

That is what Danny's Wife said, the other thing is to get the ex to tell dhs she doesnt want them to handle Her money.....My 2 posts combined tell it better, my experience.

Just look at how much trouble dhs is having (sorry Danny... ;) ) would You want them handling Your money.
Late payments are the norm, as I said , if you can get ex to deny dhs involvement the better you are.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looked up the statute... Its since 1994

The DHS involvement was put in the dacree My lawyer drew up. A decree I got a few weeks ago from my exs lawyer said "No DHS involvement"

My ex isn't on any kind of assistance.

could you post statue Please , I believe the statue is ...If you are on state assistance, dhs will handle money, if Not then you can do it your self

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't disagree with anything you've said twoguns?, just addressing whether it was mandatory or not.

GC was aghast (and rightfully so) when he received notification DHS was stepping in. It is our contention that DHS got this law put into effect so they could roll parents who made their payments regularly and on time into the system to pad their dismal collection record. (Sorry, Danny, no offense to your wife.)

ruckerduck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I divorced in 2003. I give my ex a check for support every month. We even changed the amount in 07 when I remarried. No one ever even mentioned DHS in either proceeding.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Could be on the dhs roll over... ( sorry Danny ;) )

I got my 1st ex to sign off on $20 k they said I owed. ( lots of axx kissin) I had paid ,but no receipt, actually put me back to absolute $0.

I thought some thing was wrong ..$0???? I had them check to make sure....seems I Overpaid $800 or so ...Imagine that?? They cut me a check right there ... ( split it with ex. least I could do... ;) )

So thats what I know...not much... ;) this was in 1998ish

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have always paid my child support obligations willingly working well with court,judges and state agencies with zero problems. Being amicable with mothers has helped, mothers not on any kind of assistance or owe the state they live in. And I have never paid any court ordered payments directly to a mother. I have always preferred to work with a state agency. I am currently paying the last year of support to my youngest kid thru OCSS's website with a credit card. Ive always been self employed with good legal representation and have payed child support to 3 different kids in 3 different states over 20 some years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom