Did They have to Shoot The Gorilla?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I heard, the female gorillas left the area when called away. The male gorilla did not obey, so he's not completely blameless IMO.

Clearly every child should be allowed to crawl around the wild animal enclosures. The wild animal is to be blamed for acting like a wild animal.

Again, the decisions made were to protect the child. But the failure wasn't with the gorilla.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Good shoot,since the little gargoyle had already fallen in, but ultimately would have been unnecessary if the mother would have been properly attentive.

Remember the guys that got mauled when they were harassing the tiger...lol good times

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ummmmmmmmmmmmm, correct me if I'm wrong. Why wasn't the mother PROACTIVE instead of REACTIVE????? As a child until I reached 18, I was always around cattle and horses......hell even farm equipment.....BUT:

There was a responsible adult or teenager around watching me making sure my 4 year old mentality was in check with farm animals and equipment.

2. Even at an early age I knew I could get killed or injured by farm animals and farm equipment.

3. My granddad and my dad said it a GAZILLION times.........."Ya gotta be smarter than the animals or equipment. They will get you hurt or killed".

My dad always told me...................NO MATTER how expensive our horses or cattle were..........they're not worth getting hurt over!!!!

Anytime there is an encounter between a human and an animal( and the HUMANS WERE IN THE WRONG) the animal will pay for it, with it's life.

Topsy the elephant is a perfect example..............that's why I don't go to a circus or seaworld. Blame the animal...................

Topsy (circa 1875 – January 4, 1903) was a female Asian elephant put to death at a Coney Island, New York amusement park by electrocution in January 1903.

Born in Southeast Asia around 1875, Topsy was secretly brought into the United States soon thereafter and added to the herd of performing elephants at the Forepaugh Circus, who fraudulently advertised her as the first elephant born in America. During her 25 years at Forepaugh, Topsy gained a reputation as a "bad" elephant and, after killing a spectator in 1902, was sold to Coney Island's Sea Lion Park. When Sea Lion was leased out at the end of the 1902 season and redeveloped into Luna Park Topsy was involved in several well-publicized incidents, attributed to the actions of either her drunken handler or the park's new publicity-hungry owners, Frederick Thompson and Elmer Dundy. Their end-of-the-year plans to hang Topsy at the park in a public spectacle and charge admission were stopped by the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. The event was cut back to invited guests and press only and Thompson and Dundy agreed to use a more sure method of strangling the elephant with large ropes tied to a steam-powered winch with poison and electrocution planned for good measure. On January 4, 1903 in front of a small crowd of invited reporters and guests Topsy was fed poison, electrocuted, and strangled, the electrocution ultimately killing her. Amongst the press that day was a crew from the Edison Manufacturing movie company who filmed the event. Their film of the electrocution part was released to be viewed in coin-operated kinetoscopes under the title Electrocuting an Elephant.

strangled............poisoned..............and electrocuted. Never mind she was captured in the wild, beat with clubs to make her mind and train her. Then when she had had enough, she tried to escape killing a person.

edisons-elephant.gif

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
And had he obeyed the handlers, he'd still be alive.

Note that I didn't say it was totally his fault. But if a child climbs into your yard and is mauled by your beloved pet, the pet will be put down.

The last hamburger you had probably wanted to live as much as the gorilla btw.

No it doesn't, it doesn't know what alive or dead is. Just that it's walking around, has the instinct to eat, move, run away when startled, and reproduce................the problem with our world, people need to quit thinking animals have the same capabilities to reason, and realize what what they're missing out on, they don't. To them it's all about the moment. If this gorilla was born in captivity, which I'm sure he was, he doesn't know he's missing out on a cool misty mountain morning in Africa.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And had he obeyed the handlers, he'd still be alive.

Note that I didn't say it was totally his fault. But if a child climbs into your yard and is mauled by your beloved pet, the pet will be put down.

The last hamburger you had probably wanted to live as much as the gorilla btw...

I guess i view this closer to the idea that a loaded gun wont just 'go off' on its own. But you don't leave a gun around an unattended child and then blame the child for what happens.

I don't see how anyone can blame a wild animal, no matter how 'trained' it was, for acting within it's nature. A pet wolf is not a domesticated dog, no matter how cuddly it might act at times. History is full of wild animals who act against their training.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Haven't been on here in a week and a half................I see nothing changed. Comments in this thread is why our country is **** and this forum is now ****. Here, read this for all of you who are better parents.

Reality is that for thousands of years there have been people who finally figure out how to mate and when they do they end up dropping a deuce in the shallow end of the gene pool. Then the fruit of their loins do the same mating ritual and drop an even a bigger deuce in an even more shallow of a pool.

Subsequently, after decades of such genetic devolution we have people making excuses for bad parenting. That is the real problem. People whining and making excuses for those that screw up as parents and let their kids get in with a gorilla.

Latest posts

Top Bottom