Ditching Cable

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So do you have to get an antenna for each tv in your home(we have 6 tv's) or can you get like a roof mounted antenna and get over the air tv through your existing cable to all tv's?

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So do you have to get an antenna for each tv in your home(we have 6 tv's) or can you get like a roof mounted antenna and get over the air tv through your existing cable to all tv's?
I use 1 antenna for 4 tv's using the existing cable in the house just hook it up to the splitter on the outside of house that the cable was hooked to. Oh and im still using the old analogue antenna that i bought 30+ years ago, one of these days i might get one of the new digital antennas to see if i can get more channels, but im way down southeast in no-mans land so probable wont help much.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get all the OTA channels available in the metro area. We canceled everything but internet and still get basic cable which is kinda nice. But being low def we only watch the channels we'd get OTA anyway. TV is bullstuff. We catch the news once in a while or we watch OETA Create. Life is 2x better without tv.

I got a roof mounted antenna from amazon for <$50. I mounted it in the attic and spliced into one of the cable runs to a bedroom.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been on an antenna for about fifteen months now. Got Netflix, and our son gave us a Roku for Christmas. The main thing I miss is the Weather Channel. Oh, I am in Enid and have no trouble pulling in great reception of 4, 5 and 9 out of OKC.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have TV's in three rooms, live in the Tuttle / Bridge Creek area and get lots of good stuff off the air. I use an above the roof antenna, an amplifier to feed a splitter and run coax to each room. I have ROKU as well as apple tv and it works fine. We have Directv, but if it was me, I would not pay for any TV stuff. Wife likes HGTV and a few others, so we still have that.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been off cable tv for about 6 months. I couldn't stand having hundreds of channels of junk. I bought an HD antenna. I get all the local channels, plus I have Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime (which pays for itself with their 2 day free shipping offer). So about 14-15 bucks a month for tv...not bad. I'll never go back to cable. I can afford it, but I feel like I'm getting ripped off in crazy monthy fees and rental charges. I had my landline taken out and changed my cell plan from AT&T to walmart family mobile.....unlimited everything for $39.99. Added the wife for $29.99 a month. Also went with AT&T's fastest internet service for $40, and life is good. Total savings, $140 a month.

Latest posts

Top Bottom