For those people who have cox cable HSIS (since some people have corrupted minds)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Seems like they are really pushing to get everything to DOCSIS 3.1. Why do I say that well they sent out a letter today offering to upgrade the modem for free. Looked over the "fine print" and it is legit, cash price would have been 180 with a 20 dollar self install kit with a discount on both and zero on monthly fees for a 0.00 total price. No monthly fees lined out and no fees to pay today so I pulled the trigger on it. Looks like it will probably be an Arris cm8200 but I don't see an issue with it really. https://www.cox.com/residential/support/arris-cm8200.html

The bad thing for someone who is eligible but wants a combo device, not going to happen for free. So you get a free modem but either need to build or buy a router. But with some decent NIC's and an older computer you can have a router pretty cheap https://opnsense.org/ then pick up some switches https://www.unixplus.com/products/quanta-lb6m-24-port-10gbe-sfp-4x-1gbe-l2-l3-switch or https://amzn.to/2JGmjpw for those people who haven't jumped on the 10G fiber bandwagon along with an AP like https://amzn.to/2rcsriA for WiFi access and you can have a REALLY nice and expandable network. It's a little more involved than a simple here is my modem/router/WiFi combo device but the possibilities are endless since you can grab what ever switch fits your needs and with the UniFi AP's you can have wireless AP's wherever you need them instead of everyone crammed into one area of the house so they can have internet access.

This is a modem only deal and not sure if EVERYONE will be eligible for it but if you have cox service and want to try the link is www.cox.com/upgrademymodem

I am guessing their supplies will be limited so if you are thinking about an upgrade or have had your modem for a while I would at least try it and see if you can get one. Worst thing they can say is you are not eligible. Mine should show up in 3 to 5 days.

And for someone who is not tech savy but wants to have a better network, hit me up. I have no issue setting things up the hardest thing you will have to do is run some wires.

Last edited:

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Right now I would like to hit Cox up..... right up side the head!!! We have had phones down off and on for a month at both my stores, today the "highspeed dsl" we have is slower that dialup. It's costing me money

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sad to say but cox doesn't have DSL

@skyhawk1 As far as your issues go take a look in the modem and see what the signal levels are. If you do have cable internet you want a signal as close to zero as possible on the downstream and a SNR above 35 and upstream power around 40. If it's DSL the levels are different and I would have to look them up. If you want me to take a look in person drop me a line and we can work something out. Sometimes there are things you can do on your end that will help alleviate issues or I can tell you flat out that it is an issue with your ISP.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd be happy to get any kind of decent service at my home. I'm far enough out that the wired providers don't want to talk to me, and there's a fixed wireless ISP that appears to be decent, but I have tall trees in the way of the signal.

Anybody have about a 50' antenna tower to get rid of?

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know where there is a tower but you would probably have to try and find out if they want to sell it or not and then take it down. A little south of Waterloo rd on Sooner there is a tower with an old wind generator that the blades have been busted on standing there for probably 4 years with no work done on it. I would say probably about 100 foot tall so even if you don't have a mounting plate you can set it 25 feet into the ground and have no issues.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.723...4!1sVfvEHsHlZf8_4VC4B0pGgA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OP tried your link and in Tulsa they want $199 for modem upgrade plus $20 one time fee.
Maybe they will send me a letter someday!

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't say its a guaranteed thing. Maybe I hit the internet service lottery or something.

order.jpg

But to try the link and see if you get the same deal doesn't cost a dime.

I posted the link somewhere else and the people were not able to use it but called in and ended up getting a 80.00 credit as the "letter" must have been sent in error.

Anyway, was thinking and it may be the modem that I have grabbing it's config from their server each time and wanting to discontinue having it. They can't just claim they no longer support the modem for no reason and they obviously support DOCSIS 3 so they can't claim that they don't there either so just simpler to buy me out.

Last edited:

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OP tried your link and in Tulsa they want $199 for modem upgrade plus $20 one time fee.
Maybe they will send me a letter someday!
I'm getting the same here. Maybe they'll send me a letter too. :-)
H8ll, I'd be happy if I just didn't have to reset my freaking modem/router once or twice a week to get full wifi speeds on my phone and Xbox. And I'd like someone to come run a hard line from my router to my Xbox for free. :-)

Latest posts

Top Bottom