Do I need a gunsmith?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oneshot2481

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, so I have a Jennings 22lr model j22 handgun that refuses to eject shells. I have cleaned the snot out of it, tried different ammo, but to no luck. After closer observation I believe it is the extractor. I guess my question is: Is it difficult to replace this or should I take it to an expert?

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
J22 are designed to do that. Your gun is running like its supposed to. Have you thought about buying something else? Is this a range gun HD/SD? Not trying to sound like a smart arse but jennings are the bottom of the barrel IMO.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You might be able to recoup the cost selling the broken gun for 40-50 bucks for somebody who is a tinkerer. They can fiddle around with it and repair it and be entertained for a bit.

filobeto

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you pay someone or replace it yourself, it may not fix the problem. If I were you I would play around with it. You should be able to tell if the extractor is broke. If you post a pic I will tell you. So when you shoot it the case remains in the chamber= failure to extract. This means the extractor is not grabbing the lip of the case. If the extractor is not broken you may be able to adjust it. If it pulls the case out of the chamber, but does not throw the spent case= failure to eject. Ejectors break off as well, but most ejection problems happen because the slide to not moving far enough for the case to hit the ejector. Too much friction, bad spring, extractor issues and magazine problems are the usual suspects for failure to eject. play around with it. Let me know if I can help.

Oneshot2481

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didn't think about the spring. I may jus replace the extractor it's only 6$. If that's not the prob I will look into spring. Thanks for the help. I am semi new to the site how do I post a pic??

Latest posts

Top Bottom