Do you trust .380 ACP?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you trust the effectiveness of the .380 ACP?

• Yes

Votes: 60 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Depends

Votes: 19 21.1%

• Total voters

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read recently that statistically the lowly .22 is the caliber that most often ends gunfights. Why? Because it's the most common caliber and most people stop fighting after you put the first hole in them. Makes sense. Naturally I'd prefer a Magnum or a .45 ACP but if that's not handy any hole puncher is better than none.
Had an acquaintance in Las Vegas, lo these many years ago, who got drunk, got PO'd at his little pickup truck, and dumped a mag into the hood of the truck. One of the higher end .25 autos, IIRC, but might have been a .380. Hired my mechanic friend and I to fix it. Only two rounds actually penetrated the thin sheet metal hood. One of those hit the carburetor and just barely cracked it. I learned a couple of things from that. Need a more powerful gun, though technically it could be considered a mission kill. Engine still ran, but was leaking fuel, would have eventually caught fire. And don't drink when you have serious shooting to do. And since you never know when that may be, maybe you shouldn't drink at all. Dude was a rectal orifice frequently when he was stone cold sober, so...

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read recently that statistically the lowly .22 is the caliber that most often ends gunfights. Why? Because it's the most common caliber and most people stop fighting after you put the first hole in them. Makes sense. Naturally I'd prefer a Magnum or a .45 ACP but if that's not handy any hole puncher is better than none.

It may not be much of a factor in choosing a caliber, but way back when the wife and I took our CC classes, two older ladies asked the instructor what kind of pistol they should buy. While I didn't hear all that he told them, I did hear .22 caliber, semi-automatic, and practice. With regards to recoil, the .22 would certainly benefit them as long as they were accurate.

He was a pretty cool instructor, and he even had a couple of small semi-automatics to loan to those two ladies because they hadn't purchased anything yet.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It may not be much of a factor in choosing a caliber, but way back when the wife and I took our CC classes, two older ladies asked the instructor what kind of pistol they should buy. While I didn't hear all that he told them, I did hear .22 caliber, semi-automatic, and practice. With regards to recoil, the .22 would certainly benefit them as long as they were accurate.

He was a pretty cool instructor, and he even had a couple of small semi-automatics to loan to those two ladies because they hadn't purchased anything yet.
I had intended to use my 1911 to shoot my CCL course qualifications. Used the Ruger MK. II instead. Instructor looked at the target, said "Yep, he's dead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom