Do you trust .380 ACP?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you trust the effectiveness of the .380 ACP?

• Yes

Votes: 60 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 11 12.2%
  • Depends

Votes: 19 21.1%

• Total voters

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First, I'd get the idea of "stopping power" out of your vocabulary when you're talking about handgun calibers. Regardless of what you carry, you shouldn't expect your handgun to stop someone right away. You may not even see any visible or immediate effect on the bad guy of the shots you've made whether you hit him or not.

I carry a .380 often. Once you decide to engage in a gunfight you need to be all in. Start shooting and don't stop until the bad guy stops. Most people who've been shot with handguns that I've encountered during my LE career didn't give a rat's a55 about the caliber they were shot with. They mostly just didn't want to get shot any more.

Your mindset is far more important than the caliber of your gun.

**In the Newhall shooting, all 3 officers who fired shots were using .357 Mag revolvers. The CHP trained with .38Sp ammo. After the shooting, they standardized on training and carrying .38Sp ammo. They also stopped having officers pocket their brass when reloading along with several other changes in how to deal with potentially violent or armed suspects. There were only two officers on scene when the shootout started. Two more arrived shortly after. That was another lesson learned...wait for backup if you can rather than try to search/detain potentially violent suspects 1 on 1 (or in this case, 2 on 2 which is basically the same). That incident and the Miami shootout were (and likely still are) referred to extensively when I went thru the academy back in the 80s.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No. Don’t own any anymore. Recently sold every 380 I owned and every round I owned. Carried a G42 from when they hit the market for summer carry. It was not the pistol, it was the round. The pistol was flawless.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Might be just me but I consider the 380 a get off me round.

That is what it’s about. I just wanna get them off of me so I can exit the kill zone. If I wanted to stand toe to toe and have a gun battle I’d bring something bigger. You gotta work with what you got at the time.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
1692723127628.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom