Does anybody know

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CamaroMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What age you have to be to purchase a handgun? I was under the impression you had to be 21 but I cant seem to find that law anywhere on the internet. I dont want to carry concealed im sure that is 21 but Id like to have one for home defense and plinking/range use. I say one but it'll probably turn into a few over time Ive got a few rifles ive been collecting. Im almost 20 BTW I hope I dont have to wait more than a year for my first handgun.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
By Federal law, you have to be 21 to buy a handgun from a FFL.
However, you may buy from a private individual within your state at age 18.
Another legal way for you to obtain a handgun is for one of your parents to buy the gun you want with their money and give it to you as a bona fide gift.
DO NOT give them your money to buy it for you, as that would be an illegal strawman purchase.
This has been law even since the 1968 GCA.
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/

CamaroMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks! Well thats nice to know I'll be looking for a good first handgun on the classifieds then. Maybe I can talk my parents into getting one for my 20th too but thats a few months off. One more question, would a Pawn Shop be considered a private individual? I doubt Id buy one from a Pawn but It'd be good to know.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One more question, would a Pawn Shop be considered a private individual?

No, that's an FFL. In fact, Altus Pawn did a local FFL transfer for me.

Private sales are people who are not "engaged in business" of firearms--like if you bought one from some non-FFL on OKSHOOTERS.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just go on www.armslist.com and buy from a private seller.

Or do the same thing at a gun show.

Even licensed FFL's don't do the paperwork if they sell it out of their private collection. I bought plenty of handguns at gun shows before I was 21. I also had my parents buy them for me before I was 18.

And then there's always a fake ID, lol. ;)

Latest posts

Top Bottom