Dog defense to the toughest hounds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t overthink it man, any 9mm or .357 hollow points will be good. Where we live outside of town dogs get dumped too often. I’ve had to shoot a couple aggressive ones over the years. I’ve dropped a large dog with a single round, glock 9mm hornady critical defense 125gr ftx

Flame suit on… I don’t like or trust pitbulls!

My SIL needed plastic surgery a few years ago after her very own pitbull randomly bit her face

My wife’s best friend had surgery on her hand/forearm after her neighbors “friendly pitbull” bit her arm and yanked her down out of nowhere while she was petting it

A coworker of mine has a neighbor who back in the 90s lost their 6 year old son when their pit snapped and went lock-jaw on the kid

Not to mention the countless circumstances of pits attacking other animals that I’ve witnessed first hand. Usually involves the irresponsible owners being surprised that they can’t get the dog to stop killing whatever it’s mauling

Bird dogs were bred to hunt birds, labs bred to swim and retrieve, hounds were bred to sniff and track, herding breeds were bred to herd, etc…but with pitbulls its “all how they’re trained”

People in here are bringing up the legal ramifications of shooting a dog!? Same folks would probably cheer on the concept of killing an aggressive human attacker.. smh

If somebody has an aggressive dog running loose unattended and it’s attacking people jogging down the road I’d think shooting it would be justified right? What if children were walking or riding bikes?

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don’t overthink it man, any 9mm or .357 hollow points will be good. Where we live outside of town dogs get dumped too often. I’ve had to shoot a couple aggressive ones over the years. I’ve dropped a large dog with a single round, glock 9mm hornady critical defense 125gr ftx
Good advice here. If you're carry is good to defend yourself against a turd, it's going to work for a dog.

To the OP:
Nothing is absolute. A couple carefully placed rounds might not stop a toothless methhead whereas it may stop a large dog. What I can tell you for 100% certainty is you're going to get bit if the dog wants to attack you. Small moving target will humble the best of us.

Twice I've had to fight off a dog attack. First one I drove my service weapons light into its chest and mag dumped to slide lock on a P220. I got about 8 stitches, damaged nerves on my elbow and I still hate chows. 2nd one I was only able to drive a 4" blade in before I pushed off. Thick Carhartt protected me on that one. Still hate dalmatians.

Avoiding a dog attack probably follows most of the same rules as avoiding a gun fight. At the point it's unavoidable, be quick and be violent.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing is absolute. A couple carefully placed rounds might not stop a toothless methhead whereas it may stop a large dog. What I can tell you for 100% certainty is you're going to get bit if the dog wants to attack you.
[/QUOTE]
Great stuff. Plan on getting bit, and nothing is absolute. I’ve seen dogs drop with one shot, I also specifically remember picking up a pit who fought an Akita and almost killed it, before going after two officers that showed up in the middle of the fight. Dog soaked up a mag from a service sidearm, a slug, and two loads of buckshot before going down.
Avoiding a dog attack probably follows most of the same rules as avoiding a gun fight. At the point it's unavoidable, be quick and be violent.
I’m just quoting this because it needs to be posted twice.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ran all my life till age 50. I have had to kill a few dogs. I carried a a Golf Club with a pointed stainless rod epoxied in it and ground to a very sharp point. It kept 90% of them away with just the presence of it, quite a few got it inserted into them and it made the fight go out of them. About 6 times I had to shoot them with a small snub nose 38sp loaded with every other round a rat shot and hollow point. The rat shot and sound stopped the real aggressive ones. Two of them a Rottweiler and a Pit got rat shot and a round in them to stop them and end their lives. I never was bitten while running.

Last edited:

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just like everything else, shot placement. I’ve seen a dog take 2 rounds of .223 Gold Dot between the shoulder blades at damn near point blank. It lived and was taken to the vet about 45 minutes later. I’ve seen a one take a .380 through the open mouth, it was DRT.

I’d say with a reliable handgun in .38 or 9mm you’ll be fine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom