Dog defense to the toughest hounds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is what I do. Easy to hold in the hand while running.
The dog is coming at you from upwind, most sprays are not a good idea. You might get a dose yourself. If the dog is running loose, in a pack or by itself acting vicious.
You need to expand on this one. Gosh that is crazy.
The crazy part is the big dogs running loose are goin to cause trouble. They see someone running maybe think pray or play and start chasing and eventually kill. If you are being threatened by a dog or anything else and affriad for your life you have every right to use that force necessary to stop it.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is just wrong. You going to hand feed a dog that is being a threat to you. The dog should not be running loose anyway. He is probably going to eat the hand that feeds it, not some wiener.
They aren’t for an “in your face encounter”, the “treats” are thrown when the aggressive animal is first spotted. The idea is to keep them at a distance rather than allow them to close the distance. It is simple conditioning, please refer to this short article for further explanation.

https://www.simplypsychology.org/pavlov.html

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've tried to use OC on dogs at least a dozen times. It never worked. One time it startled a dog long enough for me to get to safety. I never shot one, but a few got some pretty solid strikes from an ASP. No way in the world I'd trust OC on a vicious dog.

Once, on a propane delivery, a pit bull decided to have me for lunch. I hadn't started the pump yet but there was plenty of pressure in the hose. I opened the valve right in that dog's face and watched in amazement as it bit the end of the nozzle while taking pressurized liquid propane to the face.

I'd use a revolver
I don't jog, too old. When I go into the woods hiking, I carry the same gun I carry if going to town. 1911 45acp, loaded the 185 sxt. Also remember practice, run a couple hundred yards to a target stand and then shoot quickly. this kind of drill gives you some idea what the stress shoot is going to be like.

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They aren’t for an “in your face encounter”, the “treats” are thrown when the aggressive animal is first spotted. The idea is to keep them at a distance rather than allow them to close the distance. It is simple conditioning, please refer to this short article for further explanation.

https://www.simplypsychology.org/pavlov.html
Maybe good lab work but get out in the real world, if the dog is far enough away that you can throw it food, it is probably not a threat. If PETA finds you feeding the dog with any kind of laced wiener you maybe in trouble, cruelty to animals.

Two Gun Warrior

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don’t overthink it man, any 9mm or .357 hollow points will be good. Where we live outside of town dogs get dumped too often. I’ve had to shoot a couple aggressive ones over the years. I’ve dropped a large dog with a single round, glock 9mm hornady critical defense 125gr ftx

Flame suit on… I don’t like or trust pitbulls!

My SIL needed plastic surgery a few years ago after her very own pitbull randomly bit her face

My wife’s best friend had surgery on her hand/forearm after her neighbors “friendly pitbull” bit her arm and yanked her down out of nowhere while she was petting it

A coworker of mine has a neighbor who back in the 90s lost their 6 year old son when their pit snapped and went lock-jaw on the kid

Not to mention the countless circumstances of pits attacking other animals that I’ve witnessed first hand. Usually involves the irresponsible owners being surprised that they can’t get the dog to stop killing whatever it’s mauling

Bird dogs were bred to hunt birds, labs bred to swim and retrieve, hounds were bred to sniff and track, herding breeds were bred to herd, etc…but with pitbulls its “all how they’re trained”

People in here are bringing up the legal ramifications of shooting a dog!? Same folks would probably cheer on the concept of killing an aggressive human attacker.. smh

If somebody has an aggressive dog running loose unattended and it’s attacking people jogging down the road I’d think shooting it would be justified right? What if children were walking or riding bikes?
I do not care what the dogs were bred to do, if they pack up and running loose they are going to cause trouble. I have seen all kinds attacking things. From the cute little ankle biters to the largest breeds chasing and attacking.

Last edited:

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. People think a wagging tail or that “curious” trot to you is harmless ... Snip ...
It never ceases to amaze me how many people think "Awwww, how sweet" when they see a wagging tail -- never mind that it is stiff as a board and only the tip is moving. Or those hackles are up. Just barely but they are up. And the dog is moving in just a little bit sideways (makes him/her look bigger to their intended target).

I'll admit -- I've never been bit by a dog but I've come damned close a few times. Every time the owner was saying "Oh Sugar Pookems won't bite!!" 🙄🙄 Just about the time the damned dog lunged at me. 🤷

Cats?? Yeah ... Let them go. Let them run far, FAR away. It'll be better for everybody. Especially you! 😱😱😱 😂😂😂 ******* those cat bites hurt! 😶😶

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Photos of my bad ass running stick. A golf club with a stainless rod inserted and sharpened to a very sticky point. Also had highly reflective tape on it for night running. It has poked many many Dogs and animals. I have been asked by some dumb humans to put it down when they were angry with me. I ran in the country mostly and it was a shame how many dogs I stuck and did not enjoy the half dozen I killed. But this little stick works great. I now carry hit on walks in the local park and hikes “very easy hikes and slow” LOL!! I may have shown this before on here.

View attachment 409867View attachment 409868View attachment 409908
Is that a regular, senior, or stiff shaft?

Latest posts

Top Bottom