Dpms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmunch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've aquired a DPMS orical with a stainless barrel. since buying it Ive looked on the internet and it seems that the different AR websites bash the DPMS Brand. Ive not shot the gun yet can someone enlighten me on the brand. I also have a chance to trade my upper for a rock river upper of the same design as the orical. It will cost me 100.00 to trade Im wondering if this is something I should do.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DPMS doesn't necessarily follow "the chart", but then neither does RRA. RRA seems to get more love from the AR noobs, but if you aren't going to shoot the crap out of them (like more than 1000 rounds per month), then you'll likely never notice.

Keep it clean and lubed and it will serve you well.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
never had a problem with the 3 DPMS rifles i've owned. I was talking to a friends cousin who is a dallas pd officer and the only authorized brands of ar they can carry is colt or RRA

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
never had a problem with the 3 DPMS rifles i've owned. I was talking to a friends cousin who is a dallas pd officer and the only authorized brands of ar they can carry is colt or RRA

To be fair, the only reason that RRA is authorized by a lot of Agencies is because they won that DEA contract with a specificly made truly mil-spec carbine. Most agencies that have authorized RRA as their carbines just go with the LAR-15 (which is what I want to say Dallas PD uses) - and that is not at all the same carbine that won them the DEA contract.

Not knocking them. Just saying - the carbines the Dallas PD and pretty much any you can buy off the shelf are not the same rifles as those used by the DEA.

This is from the famous officer's forum "So you want to buy an AR-15" thread:
The DEA chose to go with a chrome-lined barrel, whereas that is an option for their standard rifles. The Pro Government Series rifle is a 16" version of the DEA package rifle, and it comes with all the accessories included, and it would make a fine rifle (albeit expensive.)

kmunch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for helping build confidence in my rifle. I dont shoot it alot 100 rds every month or two. Its a gun I would rather have and not need than need and not have.

Latest posts

Top Bottom