Re-title vehicle of deceased relative

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my stepmother passed unexpectedly 4 months ago. No will, no probate, and the last years of her life she lived in a rented patio home

She had no children of her own and no other next of kin besides a cousin who lives out of town. I “inherited” a grumpy chihuahua who bites and currently have a storage unit full of furniture and appliances I am trying to figure out what to do with - would much rather give them to someone who can use them than just take to the landfill

And a car. I asked the cousin about the car and she didn’t want it. Said “just keep it”

We still share the same last name for whatever that’s worth as the woman never re-married after my dad passed, so I just got insurance for it, make the payment as it still has a small amount owed on it , but drive it seldom

Was planning to re-title it after the lien was cleared but a situation yesterday is causing me to need to accelerate the timetable.

when the sun came out, I decided to get all the vehicles washed and top everything off with gas - was sitting at a stop light and was rear ended.
100% no fault accident but body shop owner stated that the other parties insurance company may not Pay the shop direct and might only pay the titled owner, or have an and/or situation

Was hoping this would be a pretty simple, take title and death certificate to the dmv and get it done but was unsure

thanks in advance if anyone has any insight

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know how a death certificate is going to do anything to get a car title into your name. I feel like you are going to end up filing an action to get a judge's order before they'll issue a title in your name. Similar to when a title is lost. And I would think a judge would want to see disclaimers from anyone set to inherit from the estate by intestate succession.

But I'm also talking out my a$$, so hopefully it will be easier than that.

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know how a death certificate is going to do anything to get a car title into your name. I feel like you are going to end up filing an action to get a judge's order before they'll issue a title in your name. Similar to when a title is lost. And I would think a judge would want to see disclaimers from anyone set to inherit from the estate by intestate succession.

But I'm also talking out my a$$, so hopefully it will be easier than that.

This would be exactly the type of journey I had hoped to avoid given the fact that there is no probate and no next of kin

but would be par for the course with my luck

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have no useful information, but I would think that the fact that their is still a loan in place on the vehicle might possibly complicate the process a little. Just something to consider.

Latest posts

Top Bottom