Drug testing for Welfare payments

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A casual user of marijuana, who does not pay for it from their own money (it is passed, if you recall from popular music), is not unfit to receive welfare or raise children. A test does not determine how one spends their money. It is not even circumstantial, and it is entirely irrelevant and a gross invasion of privacy.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing that needs to be considered is the fact that those with drug problems... while yes, it's their problem... some, if not most of those kids wouldn't have anything if it weren't for welfare. You can't deny a child for its parent's problems.

Sad but true.

that's why I am against it. In theory, docjj is correct, but in practice, a lot of already miserable children would just be made more miserable

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Then certainly you feel that welfare, itself, is out of the scope of government and therefore the point is moot.

Indeed, though the point is not moot, as welfare currently exists though I oppose it. As the drug testing is currently being debated, I will oppose it even though it may mean some junkie can get on the dole. I prefer that to letting the government get their hands into further prying into people's private lives. Lesser of two evils, IMHO.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i think its a brilliant idea. If these people have enough money to buy drugs then why would they need government assistance?

it makes me mad that some people think everything should be handed to them.

for years i was working minimum wage, got two kids and was going to college and i never had my hands out for welfare or food stamps etc..

all those lazy drug addicts can just starve for all i care.

Two points:

1) A positive drug test does not indicate one spent money on drugs.

2) As already mentioned, the person who failed the test would most certainly be the least likely person to starve. The minors who may depend on that person, on the other hand...

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Indeed, though the point is not moot, as welfare currently exists though I oppose it. As the drug testing is currently being debated, I will oppose it even though it may mean some junkie can get on the dole. I prefer that to letting the government get their hands into further prying into people's private lives. Lesser of two evils, IMHO.
I agree with your sentiment although, again, this is a voluntary activity. To me it's much less intrusive and more productive than having to take your shoes off at the airport. Both are voluntary. Don't want to be tested? Don't sign up for welfare. Don't want to be stripped searched and get a full frontal pat down? Don't fly commercial.

Latest posts

Top Bottom