Dry Fire Practice Systems? Edit for clarity

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilcountry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, here is what I decided on after some research. I went with a dry fire mag and the Mantis X10 Elite training system. The Mantis is supposed to work both dry and live fire and be able to show you what you are doing on both, so I spent a bit more to buy it. Here is the video that convinced me to get it.

Mantis X is great. I've shot handguns for over forty years and have always been a pretty good shot. With age and ammo prices I had not been shooting much and my targets were showing it. I used the Mantis for a few months and noticed a remarkable improvement. I was at an indoor range last year and a guy that works there saw my target. He said, "I need to take you to Fair where they have you shoot out the X for a prize."

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I could see getting the dry fire mag without the laser and the mantis X system to work together
I think the laser would be distracting to me wanting to see it and not stay focused on the sights

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I could see getting the dry fire mag without the laser and the mantis X system to work together
I think the laser would be distracting to me wanting to see it and not stay focused on the sights
This is a real possibility. I also have a Coolfire trainer which comes with a laser. At first I used the laser for a few gas fills but then left it off because I caught myself looking for the laser hit instead of watching the sights. Now I generally leave it off. It takes some discipline to train correctly, lest you have some ingrained bad habits to train back out.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been working with my trainer (athletic kind) on my hand a wrist strength and it seems to be helping. If nothing else it has made me more aware of keeping still when I'm in shooting stance. We tie weights to a rope and have me hold them up in stance, arms extended, and she will come up and tug occasionally to simulate firing. This along with basically holding weights and running my wrists in a circular motion has done the trick. My Mantis scores were all in the 90s tonight and I will be heading to the range to try it out tomorrow. Got to verify the new barrel I added to the Dagger and make sure zero didn't change much. So far having the Mantis to give me feedback on what I'm doing has been worth the purchase price.

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered the mantis x system and the dry fire mag
Dry fire mag arrived and I had been waiting on usps to deliver the mantis
USPS tracking showed out for delivery but never showed
Next day still showing out for delivery then late afternoon I get a knock on the door and and a man that lives a couple blocks away said he found this package addressed to me lying in the street
It was the mantis system and it had been run over by at least two vehicles by looking at the tire tracks on the crushed packaging
Mantis customer service is sending me a new one
USPS still shows it’s out for delivery every day when I check tracking

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered the mantis x system and the dry fire mag
Dry fire mag arrived and I had been waiting on usps to deliver the mantis
USPS tracking showed out for delivery but never showed
Next day still showing out for delivery then late afternoon I get a knock on the door and and a man that lives a couple blocks away said he found this package addressed to me lying in the street
It was the mantis system and it had been run over by at least two vehicles by looking at the tire tracks on the crushed packaging
Mantis customer service is sending me a new one
USPS still shows it’s out for delivery every day when I check tracking
Bummer man, USPS sucks. You will love the system when it shows up.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
PXL_20240511_152439148.jpg

PXL_20240511_153132843.jpg

PXL_20240511_153401107.MP.jpg

Here are the results of my training. I'm still pushing forward some on my live fire and occasionally slapping the trigger. Since I'm right handed this shows up as down and to the left on my shooting. Not sure what the initial high shots were, the pics are in order of my mags today. All this is at 10 yards with 9mm FMJ 115 grain. I'm sure many here could do better, I'm just trying to get to the best I can do with my screwed up hands and wrists. Rheumatoid Arthritis sucks. That being said, the guy definitely died on my silhouette target. I always finish up with a live looking target as a kind of reward for practicing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom