Eclipse photos - post them here

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't take any of the sun/moon, but shadows behave very weirdly in an eclipse
I saw my first partial eclipse in Kansas on May 10th, 1994. It was an annular eclipse which was special. Seeing the crescent-shaped shadows on cars and houses and even the leaves on the trees was a weird feeling. It lasted only for a few minutes. I never forgot that experience.

CPT Gene Mauch

You gotta creep
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw my first partial eclipse in Kansas on May 10th, 1994. It was an annular eclipse which was special. Seeing the crescent-shaped shadows on cars and houses and even the leaves on the trees was a weird feeling. It lasted only for a few minutes. I never forgot that experience.

I saw those crescents back in 2017, even took some pictures that I can't find now 😑

Very weird stuff

Fro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife bought a solar filter for her camera just to take this pic.

Attachments

• IMG_2567.jpeg
    IMG_2567.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 0

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never knew there were 4 types of eclipse phenomena.
https://www.ketv.com/article/solar-eclipse-omaha-nebraska-path-2024/60412878
  • Total solar eclipse: The sun is fully obscured by the moon.
  • Partial solar eclipse: The sun is only partially obscured by the moon; the sun appears to have "a bite" taken out of it.
  • Annular solar eclipse: The moon is centered in front of the sun, but doesn't obscure it completely; the sun appears as a "ring of fire."
  • Hybrid solar eclipse: A combination of a total and annular solar eclipse, and the rarest type of solar eclipse; this begins as one type of eclipse and transitions to another type.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you see Monday's solar eclipse?

Well, if you happened to miss it – or if you are a real eclipse chaser – there are some other upcoming eclipses to watch out for in the future.

Before we get to the list, let's take a minute to break down how we know when eclipses will occur.

What to know about eclipses​

Eclipses are fairly precise cosmological events, dealing with the geometry of space. Figuring out when they occur involves relying on the Saros Series, which is a span of 223 lunar months and has been used to reliably predict eclipses for thousands of years — specifically since the Chaldean or Neo-Babylonian Empire of what we now call the Middle East.

"In a Saros Series, exactly 9 years, 5.5 days after any lunar eclipse, a solar eclipse will occur, and vice versa," according to the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. "These similar eclipses are part of the same Saros Cycle, and the time between the two eclipses is called a saros."

The moon covers the sun during a total solar eclipse, as seen from Mazatlan, Mexico, Monday, April 8, 2024.
Total solar eclipse wows North America. Clouds part just in time for most
It's also important to remember that there a different types of eclipses, based on the distance between the moon and the Earth. The eclipse on April 8 is a total solar eclipse, meaning that the moon will completely cover the sun when it passes by in the sky. This is more significant and happens less often than an annular or partial solar eclipse, according to NASA. An annular eclipse means that the moon is very far away from the Earth, meaning it does not completely cover the sun, giving the eclipse that "ring of fire" look. A partial eclipse means that these celestial objects are passing by each other, but are not perfectly lined up, usually resulting in a crescent-shaped eclipse.

Now that you know how we know and what we're looking for, when are the next eclipses that we'll be able to see?

Upcoming dates​

According to NASA, after April 8, 2024, there will actually be two eclipses to see later this year.

On Sept. 8, there will be a partial lunar eclipse – meaning the Earth will pass between the moon and Sun, casting a brief partial shadow on the surface of the moon – visible to the Americas, Europe, and Africa. And on Oct. 2, there will be an annular solar eclipse visible in South America, with the event partially visible in North America, Antarctica, and some parts of South America.

Ron Jenkins/Getty Images

March 2025 should be an exciting month for eclipse-watchers. On March 14, there is a total lunar eclipse – meaning the moon will be cast in a red glow as the Earth covers the sun – visible in the Americas. Then, on March 25, there will be a partial solar eclipse visible from North and South America.

Also in 2025, there is a partial solar eclipse visible from Australia and Antarctica on Sept. 21, if you happen to be there.

In 2026, there is an annular eclipse on Feb. 17 that will only be visible from Antarctica, but will be partially visible in South America. The next total solar eclipse will be on Aug. 12, 2026, and will only be visible in Greenland, Iceland, Spain, Russia, and a small area of Portugal, but a partial eclipse will be visible from North America.

And the next total solar American eclipse? That will be on Aug. 23, 2044 — so try to keep your eclipse glasses in mint condition.

https://www.ketv.com/article/free-apps-watch-solar-eclipse-live/60399978

foghorn918

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My siblings and I gifted our 87 yr old mom a Branson trip for her Christmas present. Her trip coincided with the eclipse event so we decided to take an extra day and drive south from Branson to watch the eclipse. We landed at a horse ranch NE of Dover Arkansas where they were charging $20 per vehicle to park in their pasture. We tipped them another $20 per vehicle, they took the money and cooked hotdogs and had chips for everyone that parked in their pasture. They had a pool house with a restroom that we got to use. Awesome folks! We felt very lucky to have found our way to their place, only learning of it the day before the eclipse.

So here are some of our favorite pictures from our eclipse tail gating adventure. It was an awesome experience and the second totality eclipse to see for my brother and I. We all said, that was a fast 4 minutes.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.JPG
6.JPG

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to go through all of mine yet, but I was really just hoping for some shots of the corona. The solar flares that came through on a lot of the other pictures were incredible!

eclipse4.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom