Electric Dryer Troubleshooting... HELP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would tend to agree it's the motor, although I don't know enough about big electric motors to be certain. Is there a start capacitor or anything like that? Basically I'm wondering if any of the electronics that control the motor could have failed to make it act like this.

That was kind of what I was wondering too and a bit fearful of but it's looking like from all of the replacement parts available that there aren't any separate start capacitors.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HMFIC,

After working at Sears int he repair department for 5+ years, I have nothing else to add. You and everyone else are on the right track.

No separate capacitors on those as far as I remember. I believe the motor is on the 110 (not 22) circuit, so you could always unhook it and dead head it into the wall to see if it starts up.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HMFIC,

After working at Sears int he repair department for 5+ years, I have nothing else to add. You and everyone else are on the right track.

No separate capacitors on those as far as I remember. I believe the motor is on the 110 (not 22) circuit, so you could always unhook it and dead head it into the wall to see if it starts up.

Very cool, thanks. The motor does start but it's sure complaining to do so and then it doesn't have much strength.

I'll be trying to find a motor locally now. I was wrong on the price... seems online they want a little over a hunnerd for one. That may make this a proposition where it's time to get something new finally.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very cool, thanks. The motor does start but it's sure complaining to do so and then it doesn't have much strength.

I'll be trying to find a motor locally now. I was wrong on the price... seems online they want a little over a hunnerd for one. That may make this a proposition where it's time to get something new finally.

Somewhere on the North side (like, Pine or Apache and Yale or Harvard, somewhere in there) there is a appliance parts salvage place. They may have one on hand for cheap. I wish I could remember where it was. I'll ask my father tonight if I talk with him, as he recently got a pulley for an old dryer from there. They even sell some new stuff, like belts.

Merlin72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am an appliance repairman and I also agree its your motor going out. What I would like to add is that before you order your motor is check and see if you can get the blower wheel off without destroying it. More often then not on dryers of your age I actually have to dremel the blower wheels off because they are locked on the shaft and tear up while trying to remove. Just figure I would save you a couple cuss words when you have the motor and make time to replace it only to find you need another part. Since your already in there I would also order a tune up kit consisting of new rollers , belt , and tensioner. The kit is cheap and after that stuffs done there shouldn't be any need to open the cabinet and remove the drum for any future repairs for awhile.

Latest posts

Top Bottom