Email Spoofing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieGentleman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Take an easily remembered word and translate it to a language other than English add a set of numbers to it (an old girl friends phone number?) throw in some under scores and the initials of the site you are going to log into and you have a password for that site. Modify the last set of letters for the next site and you have a long easy to remember password. And if you add characters other than letters or numbers when you setup an e-mail address the spammers have a hard time finding you. Just my two cents worth.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use KeePassX. Encrypted database. Stored in encrypted virtual machine. On encrypted USB drive. (I won't disclose the exact amount of layers of encryption.)

I don't even know most passwords I use.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks VM...I figured there was nothing I could do on my end. The "detail" shows the actual email address it is coming from...a cox.net address, but that account is probably a hacked one.

Probably from a Cox business account.
Nothing you can do about it though. Cox doesn't respond to abuse complaints.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Myself and my employees maintain encrypted password vaults on encrypted thumb drives. When going that route look for one that uses hardware encryption vs software encryption.

I've been bitching for years that I want a couple of diskless PC's booted off a linux image and force all of our banking transactions to be done by a user on one of those terminals, our bank requires i.e. so it would need wine on the image, but It's too complicated and what about if everyone is out of town....

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recommend pass phrases such as ILove2Fish4Bass or something similar. You can mix it up by adding a letter at the beginning or end that corresponds to the website you need the password for, such as if it were for this site, you could use O being the first letter of the site. So, OILove2Fish4Bass. That way the password is somewhat unique for each site you access. Changing your password, for most users, has been shown to actually be less secure as they tend to choose passwords that are easy or predictable, like password2013, then change it to password2014, etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom