Feeder questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks,

Why would be archery change the feeder tactic vs rifle?

I say archery as meaning early and late season. Come muzzleloader and rifle you’re hunting the does. The bucks don’t care for food that much. And it’s easier to bring does in than a mature buck. Early and late season you can more easily pattern a buck on food. I’d rather have an alfalfa field or bean field than anything though [emoji1787].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When my Dad was alive and able to keep corn piles freshened, that’s what we did, but I live over 500 miles from my place and don’t get up but maybe once a month. Feeders are the only thing I can do. I’m struggling right now with keeping the protein feeder filled (they’re eating over 70#/day). My youngest son works 10 on 4 off and has been going up to help out, but it still ran out for 4 days before he could get back up there.

Okieshooter,
My advice is to keep doing what you’re doing with piles this season and make the switch to a feeder in January. I don’t like making any major changes during season, and in my opinion, putting out a feeder is pretty major.
In my experience, if your getting by only feeding 100# corn and 50# rice bran per week, you’re getting off pretty easy. I’ve seen deer and coons eat over 100# PER NIGHT.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The second biggest buck at my feeder has learned how to spin the feeder spinner thing. And i mean good at it too.
upload_2019-10-21_18-18-48.png

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say put the feeder out. Deer will get use to it in no time. if you want more corn on the ground then set the time for a longer period, 8-10 seconds per throw and do couple/3 times a day. I think a buck would be much less bothered by the sound of a feeder going off for a matter of seconds that you going in on a four wheeler once a week or more to dump corn on the ground. You are putting your send all over the place and all it takes in one time for you to have a close encounter at the wrong time with the big buck and he won't be coming around your place for the rest of the season.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a theory on feeders developed over the 30+ years of hunting the exact same places that I own and 20 years previous hunting public ground when nothing was on ours, because back 50 years ago there were few deer in Oklahoma. If you saw any legal deer, you shot it because it was likely to be the only deer you would see the entire season. My first trail movement indicators were simple thread stretched across a trail and seeing which direction it was broken down. Didn't know when the thread was broken, just knew the deer was walking that direction.
Later on, (I still have them) you used a thread attached to a digital clock timer to tell you when the deer broke the thread and which direction it was coming from.
Then it was the trail cameras that used 35mm film. 36 pics max and it was around $12 to get them developed.
Never had feeders until probably 15 years or so ago. Hunted Ag fields and learned where the deer crossed necks or narrow areas around them where there was some wooded areas, etc.
Started putting out primitive food plots before feeders by just scattering seed and seeing what would come up in wooded clearings, and saw a huge increase in deer traffic. They liked the secluded areas where they could be close to cover in case of danger. I saw a lot more bucks as well. Now I have all the fun stuff to put in good food plots.
Then feeders started becoming popular. Built one, and finally three to put in my preferred spots with trail cams.
I rarely see big bucks eating from the feeder. Count the times on one hand.
The pics I get are from them 20 yards behind it looking at the does feeding or eating from the food plots. I get lots of 130" bucks and smaller at the feeder, but the 150 and above, almost never. Feeders are to attract does that in turn attracts the big bucks looking for does is my opinion.
I've always heard that clover is the best food plot. Tried many times in the past to get a clover patch going with zero success. Our area is pretty dry. BUT! In the last couple of years being wet, I've got a one acre patch started. The trail cam pics of the feeder on the clover patch are telling the story. The deer are on the clover and the corn is piling up underneath the feeder. Coons and possums are the only thing eating the corn feeder according to the trail cam pics I looked at today.

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a theory on feeders developed over the 30+ years of hunting the exact same places that I own and 20 years previous hunting public ground when nothing was on ours, because back 50 years ago there were few deer in Oklahoma. If you saw any legal deer, you shot it because it was likely to be the only deer you would see the entire season. My first trail movement indicators were simple thread stretched across a trail and seeing which direction it was broken down. Didn't know when the thread was broken, just knew the deer was walking that direction.
Later on, (I still have them) you used a thread attached to a digital clock timer to tell you when the deer broke the thread and which direction it was coming from.
Then it was the trail cameras that used 35mm film. 36 pics max and it was around $12 to get them developed.
Never had feeders until probably 15 years or so ago. Hunted Ag fields and learned where the deer crossed necks or narrow areas around them where there was some wooded areas, etc.
Started putting out primitive food plots before feeders by just scattering seed and seeing what would come up in wooded clearings, and saw a huge increase in deer traffic. They liked the secluded areas where they could be close to cover in case of danger. I saw a lot more bucks as well. Now I have all the fun stuff to put in good food plots.
Then feeders started becoming popular. Built one, and finally three to put in my preferred spots with trail cams.
I rarely see big bucks eating from the feeder. Count the times on one hand.
The pics I get are from them 20 yards behind it looking at the does feeding or eating from the food plots. I get lots of 130" bucks and smaller at the feeder, but the 150 and above, almost never. Feeders are to attract does that in turn attracts the big bucks looking for does is my opinion.
I've always heard that clover is the best food plot. Tried many times in the past to get a clover patch going with zero success. Our area is pretty dry. BUT! In the last couple of years being wet, I've got a one acre patch started. The trail cam pics of the feeder on the clover patch are telling the story. The deer are on the clover and the corn is piling up underneath the feeder. Coons and possums are the only thing eating the corn feeder according to the trail cam pics I looked at today.

Never heard about the string across trails...NOW that is primitive. :)
thanks for sharing

Latest posts

Top Bottom