Feeding the birds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is the bird feeding a thing when the weather turns crappy? My wife was telling me her parents in Sapulpa have been hold up in the house for a couple days due to the storm but said that they get out and feed the birds 3-5 times a day off the back porch. I thougt it was funny to have birds swarming their back yard and patio during this type of weather.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is the bird feeding a thing when the weather turns crappy? My wife was telling me her parents in Sapulpa have been hold up in the house for a couple days due to the storm but said that they get out and feed the birds 3-5 times a day off the back porch. I thougt it was funny to have birds swarming their back yard and patio during this type of weather.
Wife puts out three big feeders for the birds. She likes to watch them through the front window.
A lot of birds die during a harsh winter. She wants to "save them".
So we buy 15 or so bags of black oil sunflower seeds annually and run a heater in the bird bath in the back yard.
The deer, squirrels and birds all participate in the bird bath water when the rest of their world if frozen.
It's pretty cool watching them getting drinks.

CapnD

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take care of those resident song birds today by contributing to your local food bank!

IMG_8210.JPG

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have 4 feeders for seed and each one has a suet cake. The last few days I have filled the feeders two times each day. I guess the cold has the birds really hungry.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never seen so many Robbins together as recently, thrre must have been 10 of them in a bush outside our window trying to find warmth.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We normally don't feed the birds, but did a few days ago. Dollar General was out of bird feed so we put out some Blue dog food. Now robins are there every day. I guess will start feeding them daily when we get bird food.... LOL

Last edited:

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Birds won't hang around here much. There are too many feral cats running loose.

I tried feeding birds before and they were few and far between.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've been feeding birds about 3 years now and really enjoy watching them. Lots of cardinals, woodpeckers, finches, etc. And plenty of hawks & owls keeping an eye on them.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. Got some extra bird food & peanuts last week, before the storm. Saw a bluebird last month, so put up a house for them. Will prob only be used by spiders.

Latest posts

Top Bottom