Feeling cold after starting blood pressure meds?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had to find a new doctor, couldn't get a timely appointment with my former. I'm going to ask for a full blood screen with thyroid screen ect. I need to loose wait asap, been on a calorie restricted diet last 2 weeks and I've lost about 5lbs already.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are dozens of BP meds, they need to try something different. Thyroid problems and low levels of Vitamin D can make you feel cold. Two years ago I would set in my truck with the heat on high, the heated seat on, in July to warm up. Dr prescribed the meds and the problem is remedied. I honestly think the Vitamin D was the remedy because my thyroid numbers are still high.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Out with a quiet party friends for New Years. One of my friends put on his jacket and commented he had been cold for about the past three months, having to sleep under an electric blanket. His wife made a comment that he was "burning her out".

I asked him if he was taking blood pressure meds. He said "yes I went to the doc about 3 months ago, it was creeping up on me, had to start some meds."

I asked if his doc had prescribed Lisinopril? He looked at me like I must be a psychic. Bingo "Yes, how did I know it was that one?" .

I told him the story what I found out here on OSA about the effects I had been experiencing for the past several years with this drug.

It may not have the side affect for everyone like that, but it seems it does affect several of us.

Not quite as dramatic as the earth is not flat, but it sure explains a large part of my world I live in every day knowing why I am cold at what other people consider "normal" temperatures and prefer my T-stat 2' to 4' higher. Especially while sleeping.

I have noticed that drinking a cold glass of iced tea will chill my whole body. Now without getting into other stuff, I also have noticed a warm body just along one side of me makes all of me feel warmer, not just on the touching part.

Yep strange effects I would have never thought about without Kyle78's post and other comments.

Thanks Kyle 78 for noticing and starting this thread and everyone who commented.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several years ago, after living outside the US for 6 years, I went for my first checkup since before I previously left. Before going I made the mistake of drinking a large cup of Dominican coffee. I think I was 178 over 96 and the doc freaked out and said they had to get me on blood pressure meds right away. I asked to wait and told him I was going to lose some weight and start exercising more. I had cholesterol issues also. I went back a couple months later, after I did start exercising and lost some weight, and it was still a bit high but nothing like it was. I've avoided the meds now for several years through diet and exercise. At least 5-6 days a week, when I get home for work, the first thing I do is get on the schwinn airdyne and go 35-40 minutes. It's parked in front of the TV with netflix so time goes by pretty quick. Of course when it's warm all the honey do's give me exercise, as does the hunting in winter.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had been on hypertensive medications of various types since 1983. Was diagnosed as having sleep apnea in 2006 and started using a CPAP machine and after 4-5 years I started getting dizzy and my cardiologist took me off all medications for hypertension and viola! NO hypertension-it was sleep apnea all the time that drove my blood pressure up. But damage has been done to the heart and kidneys already, even if the hypertension is under control it can still create problems.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do agree that exercise and diet can be a factor. My high BP was accidentally caught by taking my first flight physical after purchasing my first airplane. I was 29 years old, commercial electrician construction worker and avid dirt bike rider most weekends. My arm muscles were about the size my legs are now. Ha Ha. I was consuming a large amount of salt. My jeans legs would be white after a hot sweaty day at work up and down ladders running conduit and hanging light fixtures, etc in the summertime.

I got off most of the salt, started eating a little better with more vegies, but still needed some meds. Passed my flight physical less than three months later. Have only changed my meds twice after that, and am now 70.

Most likely purchasing that airplane saved my life from having a stroke at an early age as I had no other reason to have my BP checked for several years. Ya Just never know. I keep a frequent eye on it and other things now and stay very active. Most people presume I am 55-60 with the active things I do, that's ok with me.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd like to purchase an airplane but FAA probably wouldn't let me pass the PE at age 74. Always been my dream and now the I can afford one... Same think with steak, when I was young I couldn't afford steak and now that I can afford it the Dr says I can't have steak. Sometimes life isn't fair. I still like to go to RV trader and look though at he airplanes.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd like to purchase an airplane but FAA probably wouldn't let me pass the PE at age 74. Always been my dream and now the I can afford one... Same think with steak, when I was young I couldn't afford steak and now that I can afford it the Dr says I can't have steak. Sometimes life isn't fair. I still like to go to RV trader and look though at he airplanes.

Take a look at the "FAA "Light Sport category started up a few years ago. Basically if you feel competent, it is made for you.

There are several restrictions on what what type aircraft you can fly, but it will get you in the air. I owned a SavannahVG that was a blast to fly in that category. Most fun flying I have ever done. Stalled at 26mph cruised at 90. 50 ft roll and in the air. It was a kit plane someone in Ohio had put together. All metal, 100hp 2000hr TBO engine, 637lbs dry, (lighter than my Goldwing Ha Ha) 28' wingspan. I wish I had never sold it, but I needed 4 seats.

Take a look at the FAA light sport regulations, then take a look on Barnstormers and see what they have, you might be surprised.

Latest posts

Top Bottom