Feeling cold after starting blood pressure meds?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
After taking lisinapryl for years I checked my blood pressure at home and it was in the 150-160 range. I thought I would go to the doctor before I dropped dead and he put me on a second BP medicine. I took it for a couple of weeks and one of the side effects was labored breathing which I started experiencing. Before that I already didn't want to be on two medications so I started looking at my diet, I already exercised pretty regularly, and I didn't realize all of the sodium I had been ingesting. I started reducing my sodium to about 1300mg a day instead of 4000-5000 a day (or sometime in one sitting of Mucho Nacho from Taco Bueno) and shortly after stopped taking the second med and I had dropped about 20lbs. My doctor says I have to live with the HBP because my mom, sister and two brothers have it. Well, they're either over-weight, smoke, drink, and/or sit around all day doing nothing. My doctor may be right, but I would like to prove him wrong and lose a few more pounds and keep the sodium down. I check my BP at home and often it's a few points under 120/80, sometimes under 110. It really bothers me that my doctor never once mentioned my weight when it came to HPB. I have never been the sharpest person, but I wonder what would happen if I could get off of the lisinapryl. See, I don't even think I know how to spell linsinapryl. Dang it, lisinapryl...

6 Strings

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Next time you talk with your doctor, ask him/her about adding Amlodipine. It works well with Lisinopril to minimize side effects and can be very effective in reducing your BP.

As well … and this sounds strange BUT once or twice a day take an 8oz glass of water and add two tablespoons of Bragg’s or Heinz unfiltered Apple Cider (will say “From the Mother” on the bottle) with a teaspoon of cinnamon and a tablespoon of lemon juice.

http://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-being/stories/12-health-benefits-of-apple-cider-vinegar

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm on 10mg of lisinopril, I've got another cold spell today while watching tv. I can't get back in to see the Doctor till next week some time. I'm overweight and have family history of heart disease. I've cut out all salt and sugar drinks from my diet. I gained a bunch of weight this year after being on steroids for my ulcerative colitis flare up. seriously hate taking the stuff. I have noticed I'm a lot less snappy since I started taking this stuff, guess I prolly had it for a while now and didn't notice.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to be hot blooded with especially hot feet at night, so much so that I kept a water bottle nearby to keep my feet cool at night. Dr put me on Lopressor or Metaprolol, a blood pressure and heart beat regulator. Now I have switched and have too low of a blood pressure and not only are my feet cold now I have to have a blanket or afgan over me sitting on the couch watching TV and the thermostat on 75. At the same time the the ol lady is in the middle of her change and she is burning up. She put a small window unit in her bedroom window cause she says I was burning her out at night. In Oct at my regular 6 month checkup were talking about this sht.

(Tapatalk)- on the road.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Before my stints, I was hot blooded and would get very hot and sweaty with no reason I was very fit running daily (3miles) and thought I was solid as a rock. But, like I said, I worried about my body putting out so much heat and the sweating was horrid at embarassing moments. Turned out my blood pressure, that was always high, was caused by a 95 % blockage of the left desending aorta. Stints and tons of pills including lisinapril. Immediate positive effect was reducing my BP as well as my excessive body heat, bad thing was I was always cold. Were on them for years until last year when I asked my DR. if I could stop the lisin. because that not only did it cause me to be cold (that I did not dislike) but also made me very tired all the time. He took me off of them and energy came back and the feeling cold left as well. BP did rise and to be honest I think I liked it better before.
It reacts differently to everyone. Good luck

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
started feeling better last few days, no more cold spells. every once in a while I'll feel my pulse quicken. been checking my BP couple times a day, and it appears to have gone down to normal levels.
Now if I can just get into to see my dang Doctor. He's only in 3 days a freakin week, and his staff doesn't answer the phones apparently. Time for a new one I think.

onearmedman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm on lisinopril and amlodipine with no issues. What else might be going on with your health? Annual labs? With family history of heart disease,ya know?
My triglycerides have always been high. My Mom takes statin drugs for the cholesterol issues and still has serious circulation issues in her legs. I take 5k time-release niacin and it has knocked my triglycerides down to dead normal.
Your thyroid may be low,but your doc might look at your labs and not treat you if it's still in the "normal" range. I fired a doc for that reason ss well as treating low testosterone.
You have to be your own health advocate.
I take 45mcg vit K2 (not K) as a blood thinner. You might try a tsp of cayenne in warm water as a shot to increase your circulation. +100 on the Braggs ACV.
L-Argine is way good for circulation. I take it before excercise.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was put on Lisinipril (20mg) about six months ago and it's worked beautifully. I've had no side effects and my BP is right where I want it. As a matter of fact, I'm even going to put myself on half doses soon to see if I can wean myself off it over time. I've lost 40 lbs this year and I'm betting that I won't need the BP medicine in the future.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was put on Lisinipril (20mg) about six months ago and it's worked beautifully. I've had no side effects and my BP is right where I want it. As a matter of fact, I'm even going to put myself on half doses soon to see if I can wean myself off it over time. I've lost 40 lbs this year and I'm betting that I won't need the BP medicine in the future.

It changed my life. I used to get migraines all the time, I started the meds a year ago and I haven't had a single one since.

Latest posts

Top Bottom