First time boat owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Break
Out
Another
Thousand$$$$

Fishing from a boat is not different than fishing from bank. No the water, structure, points, humps, creeks. A boat gives you more access and mobility to reach areas.
Kinda disagree with that. People on the bank usually throw out as far as they can, people on a boat cast towards the shore. :pms2:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had three friends die by drowning/hypothermia while duck hunting on Kaw Lake using a Jon boat when high winds hit and flooded their boat.
Participated in the recovery effort for country singer Craig Strickland when he died on Kaw lake while duck hunting in a Jon boat.
Participated in the shore search via our ATV club when two dentists from Tulsa died on Kaw Lake while duck hunting in a Jon boat.
The final analysis is that duck hunting is deadly, or Jon boats are extremely dangerous because they are designed for creeks and rivers, not open water.
Be cautious. In cold water, you have about 30 seconds before losing the ability to pull yourself out of the water. If you do pull yourself out, hypothermia will likely kill you if you don't have dry clothes to change into.
Boating kills thousands of people a year, be aware of the limitations of your personal watercraft.
If you do go out in cold weather and high winds, be sure to wear one of the self inflation life jackets so the rescue people can find you before the turtles get their fill.
If not, it will be a month or two before the water warms enough to generate internal gasses that will make a carcass rise to the surface.
You might be able to see that I'm not a fan of Jon boats on Arcadia or any open water.
I’m sorry to hear about your friends. I have little intention to take the boat out during bad weather or out in the middle of a big lake.
I'm with Dennis on this one. Jon boats are dangerous. Make sure to watch weather reports, look out for big water (waves), jet fleas (idiots), and party boats (also idiots). They'll all try to kill you if they get the chance. I've had one drunk bastard drive on the wrong side and drive our 20' boat up by the bank one time, then because they were cruising fast by the bank the waves almost swamped us. This was in a fiberglass skeeter, with their most stable hull design ever built. If we were in anything else I'm sure we would have got a mouth full of water.

Those big party boats can swamp you if they're 200 feet away. It takes a while for the wave to get to you so don't just look at them go by and think you're in the clear.

They can be enjoyable, but be ultra aware of everything going on around you, and the boat's limitations.

Oh, and snakes. they'll flat crawl up in the boat with you. Stay strapped or get clapped!
Thanks for that. That’s why I keep a stick or paddle in the boat. I had a buddy who shot his boat full of holes one time when a water moccasin decided to come aboard. Uninvited of course. It’s typically harder for me to do any serious damage to the boat with a stick than it is with a pistol.
We've owned a boat for over 25 years, they are a lot of fun, and can produce many hours of enjoyment.

Like anything they have to be properly maintained, and you have to match the boat to the activity.

I would be reluctant to get out on any lake in a small, flat bottomed boat. There are some big boats that make large wakes, even in a 20' deep V it can get rough at times.

I would prefer a pontoon, great platform for fishing, outboard motor that is easier to service and repair.
I’ve fished out of a pontoon once. I view it as the ideal large lake fishing platform. You have space, shade, amenities, a big couch to fish from…. It doesn’t get much better than that. Sadly, I don’t have the cash or space for one at the moment.
Back around 76' myself and two other dumba$$es like me wanted to try duck hunting for the first time on Marion Res. in Kansas and one of the fellas had a small 'X' foot jon boat to get us out to a small island around 150 yds. offshore........with us and all our gear we had the little boat way overloaded and we pretty much knew it but being in our mid twenties, tougher than nails and invincible we went ahead and slowly putt putted out to the little island breaking thin ice as we went.

With no deeks, calls, blind or camo we never even had a duck come within shooting range and about an hour or so of being on the little island the wind came up pretty good and it started snowing and spitting sleet so we loaded back in the jon boat and started slowly putt putting back to shore.

We were darn near freezing to death and getting hammered by sleet and a strong north wind headed in and the fella in the front of the boat (I was in the middle) told the fella operating the motor to speed up and as soon as he did water instantly started coming in over the front of the boat and filled up turning over on it's side and we all three went under in about 8' of ice cold water and it was every man for himself.

I had just bought a brand new Remington 1100 12 ga. and was holding it in one hand and was wearing a bulky green Army field jacket with liner (which became like a sponge) and I had at least three boxes of loose shells stuffed in the four pockets and I sank like a rock never letting go of my new shotgun........luckily I touched firm bottom and pushed up hard but with all the weight I was barely able to get my face above water just long enough to gulp some air and I went back under again.

Going back under and somehow keeping my wits about me I knew that I was in deep **** and knew that if I didn't shed the heavy water logged field jacket filled with ammo and my new shotgun that I was done for.......I let go of the shotgun pushed up hard for another breath of air and was able to get out of the heavy field jacket while under water then pushed up again and this time I was able to keep my head above water and swim a few yards till I could walk out of the water.

The fella in the front of the boat had already made it back to shore but the fella driving the boat was afraid to let go of the up turned boat and was clinging to it........some people on shore saw what was going on and had quickly driven to the game wardens shack close by and while racing back to us he had called for a ambulance.

All of us on shore kept yelling at the fella still clinging to the boat to let go and swim to shore which he finally did.

It was a cold wet ride back to Wichita and being young we didn't realize then just how lucky we were to be alive.

After we left the game wardens were able to retrieve the boat and whatever else was floating and we went back the next day to claim it.
Man, that’s no fun. Good thing ya’ll got out alive.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
If you’re next to a husband yelling at his wife because he’s an idiot and can’t load the boat on the trailer, do not offer any advice. It will only cause the husband to yell at his wife louder.
Launching ramps are a great source of holiday weekend entertainment. When I lived by Galveston Bay I'd take a lawn chair and a 6-pack and just watch the antics...especially the husband "Captain" in the boat barking orders to the wife "First Mate" in the backing-up vehicle.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I won't be able to take out my new toy for a few weeks, due to responsibilities around the house, and an impending cross country trip. But, thankfully I have been told that after a 2 week vacation living in a 21ft travel trailer together, that I'll be required to get out of the house for a few days and go hunting/fishing upon our return. I'm not religious or anything, but God bless this woman. I found myself a real keeper. So I figure I'll take the boat out for a half day or so when we first get back, before my trip. Use it as a time to play with the finders, Get a feel for the boat/motor, practice loading/unloading a few times. Make sure there isn't any issues or problems I need to attend to before taking my 5-7day trip. Probably go out to shawnee twin lakes, the girlfriends dad has a house on the lake, suggested I take the boat out so we can play with it. He's more of a skiing kinda guy, and is disappointed that my 9.9 horse won't work well for pulling him up on skis. But, he's grown up on boats, and I figure he can help with some pointers.

My thought for the trip are to try out some smaller bodies of water, maybe go out and try a river. Near me the Canadian and deep fork are more or less just drainage ditches unless they're flooding and have trees floating down them. I was thinking of trying out the Arkansas and or Canadian rivers between Weber Falls/Eufala and RS Kerr Lake, ? Jon Boats are made to be river boats, would this be a good idea? If I stick to the rivers am I going to be fighting much traffic?

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I won't be able to take out my new toy for a few weeks, due to responsibilities around the house, and an impending cross country trip. But, thankfully I have been told that after a 2 week vacation living in a 21ft travel trailer together, that I'll be required to get out of the house for a few days and go hunting/fishing upon our return. I'm not religious or anything, but God bless this woman. I found myself a real keeper. So I figure I'll take the boat out for a half day or so when we first get back, before my trip. Use it as a time to play with the finders, Get a feel for the boat/motor, practice loading/unloading a few times. Make sure there isn't any issues or problems I need to attend to before taking my 5-7day trip. Probably go out to shawnee twin lakes, the girlfriends dad has a house on the lake, suggested I take the boat out so we can play with it. He's more of a skiing kinda guy, and is disappointed that my 9.9 horse won't work well for pulling him up on skis. But, he's grown up on boats, and I figure he can help with some pointers.

My thought for the trip are to try out some smaller bodies of water, maybe go out and try a river. Near me the Canadian and deep fork are more or less just drainage ditches unless they're flooding and have trees floating down them. I was thinking of trying out the Arkansas and or Canadian rivers between Weber Falls/Eufala and RS Kerr Lake, ? Jon Boats are made to be river boats, would this be a good idea? If I stick to the rivers am I going to be fighting much traffic?
I took a 14’ narrow jon boat on the river near Weber falls. No problems. Giant barges did come by. It was kind of crazy.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
A trick I have used many times in my little 16 foot V-bottom is to go at a good speed and pull the plug. All the water in the boat will run out while you are going. It doesn't take too much speed, just enough to get you going.
Please attach a cable to the plug first! Or carry a box of spares.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Please attach a cable to the plug first! Or carry a box of spares.
I just hold it in my finger where the loop is in the plug and never had an issue.

Now I have launched a couple times on an early morning duck hunt and forgot to install the plug which is a different issue. Early mornings too many days in a row will do that to you.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Launching ramps are a great source of holiday weekend entertainment. When I lived by Galveston Bay I'd take a lawn chair and a 6-pack and just watch the antics...especially the husband "Captain" in the boat barking orders to the wife "First Mate" in the backing-up vehicle.
Boat ramp adventures are totally hilarious! Best place to hang out on holiday weekends. Then you get the occasional couple that know what the heck they are doing and that's impressive to watch.

Latest posts

Top Bottom