First time bringing the ar out and had some issues.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had kinda the same issue with mine when I first took it out after it was built. Didn't have light strikes but it would short stroke and fail to feed. Hosed it down with clp and when it was dripping I fired a round or two and hosed it some more. After doing that it got a name and was good to go since, I call it the "Greasy Pig" cause once it's at a point where it wants to fire clp is dripping off the damn thing. I would suspect that a slightly tight pin on the hammer without any lube would be part of the reason for light strikes and as it ran you started to get a little lube down in there.

Pull the pin on the hammer and put a little something on it then drop it back in or spray a little clp on the hammer pin and work it to get some lube down in. Then hose the BCG down and run it wet. I have a nickel boron carrier and it still had to be very wet to operate correctly.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I was thinking about it and I am 100% sure that as soon as I got my bcg I just tossed it in so the bcg and firing pin were probably dry as a bone. I'm thinking that if the firing pin was dry that cause the failure to fire and if the bolt was dry that cause the failure to feed. Lubimg the bolt that eventually caused the firing pin to get some correct?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I was thinking about it and I am 100% sure that as soon as I got my bcg I just tossed it in so the bcg and firing pin were probably dry as a bone. I'm thinking that if the firing pin was dry that cause the failure to fire and if the bolt was dry that cause the failure to feed. Lubimg the bolt that eventually caused the firing pin to get some correct?

Oil tends to creep, so yes, it might have crept into the FP area. Throw your bolt into a container filled with Mobil1, take it out wipe it off lightly and you'll be good for several thousand rounds when a complete strip and clean will be necessary.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it has to be soaked/dripping in oil to run...it's broken or out of spec. A light, wipe down, coat of oil is all it should need unless you are running it through a high round count course of fire, getting it hot nasty and dirty.

Is this a factory gun, or a hobby built one?

BrandonMF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you build the lower? LIght strikes usually mean the hammer spring is backwards if you're using factory loaded ammo. Had that problem myself on my first assembled AR lower.

Latest posts

Top Bottom