Fishing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yup. I’ve heard it called a santee rig. it’s one of my favorite catfish rigs as well. I seem to get more bites with the bait suspended off the bottom that little bit vs lying on bottom.

Make sure to use a heavy enough weight and a small enough float. You’ll be surprised the buoyancy of those little foam floats.
I’ve just recently found that the rig with floats is what saltwater surf fishermen use to keep the bait off the bottom but in a drop shot configuration.
Called a pompano rig. I’m going to try it on blue cat in shallow water.

https://a.co/d/bfNkHpH

ch1966

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got out this afternoon and caught 9.
Good day!

dn7Ohwa.jpg

PDKn5lZ.jpg

mBG6C0B.jpg

And this one had me digging the scale out. 6 lbs 1 oz ~23 inches.
My best so far this year.

2fW5fEK.jpg

Last edited:

birdhunter1980

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So that's a small float between the hook and the swivel ?
That would help keep the bait off the bottom.
Like has been stated it's a Santee rig named after the lake in South Carolina that has massive blue cats. I also use sinker slides that way when the fish grabs the bait there is little resistance. I leave my spool open with the bait clicker on and you definitely know when you have one over 5#. My brother turned me on to the rig and I have been catching them constantly, sometimes the bait barely hits the bottom and a cat is running with it! It also seems like I don't get hung up as much anymore.

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Long time ago(years) we would do really good in Jim blue creek at thunderbird. Used to turn north off hwy 9 and park on east side of road. Can't recall what road we turned north on. Lots of big bass, sand bass and line breaking cats. Could get in there with boat but there was a shallow mud bank where creek emptied into lake you had to watch for.

Latest posts

Top Bottom