Food Plot Basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not so much for food plot but I put down some wheat seed in an area I rotate for the chickens. I scratched up the bare soil with a harrow and broadcast the seed about 7 days ago. Its up 4-6" tall today.....hit the rain just right. In my deer hunting 80 acres I have very little non-forested land, but I did broadcast some seed in 6' wide trail ( 3 miles of trail ) that I keep mowed. Those with some good sunshine. Don't know if it will come up or be of any value but I did get in broadcasted in time for about a 1" rain to wash it in. We shall see.

Last edited:

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bone dry here. I've got some crimson clover I want to plant if I ever get any rain. Bees like it in the spring.
That’s not good news. I thought that just about everywhere in the state got a little rain this week. We got around 1.25 inches over the last few days. Still need more, but it was good to see rain again.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s not good news. I thought that just about everywhere in the state got a little rain this week. We got around 1.25 inches over the last few days. Still need more, but it was good to see rain again.
I bet we've only had about 3" for the whole summer. Oaks are turning brown already.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be checking with my seed guy tomorrow. Would like to have done it today, but some family issues took precedent. Nothing drastic, just researching some land issues at the farms that's gonna require going to the county clerk to solve by going through the books. We may gain some ground.
Place I tilled up yesterday got a tenth or so of rain today so that's good. The tractor kept getting up toward the hot zone, when tilling so in-between researching abstracts and deeds, I was blowing out the radiator that hadn't been done in a couple of years. Finally got where a flashlight on one side could be seen from the other side. Good to go now.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Put in the first food plot today. Planted with wheat and purple top turnips.

IMG_2083.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom