For Metal or Hardcore fans, Album I am writing is getting closer...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a sickness sweet as a love note. I got a headache like a pillow. Called me Daisy, called me Daisy, called me Daisy, that one called me Daisy. I am a sweetheart, I am a prom queen, I am some puppies. Not Daisy

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm, more stuff we have in common. Very cool, I like your stuff and cant wait to hear more. Need a 4,5,6 string bassist or any studio drummers let me know I know some.

I'm pretty much a mercenary guitarist lately. In more projects than I have time for. Started a new one possibly in Denver, still working things out. Playing part time with a band, Cursed, in Modesto Ca, and another, a metal/industrial thing in Des Moines Ia.

The last full time project with promise but couldnt make it work:
[video=youtube_share;M6y5etpXgTo]http://youtu.be/M6y5etpXgTo[/video]

Last edited:

ZombieHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm, more stuff we have in common. Very cool, I like your stuff and cant wait to hear more. Need a 4,5,6 string bassist or any studio drummers let me know I know some.

I'm pretty much a mercenary guitarist lately. In more projects than I have time for. Started a new one possibly in Denver, still working things out. Playing part time with a band, Cursed, in Modesto Ca, and another, a metal/industrial thing in Des Moines Ia.

Ya I have tried to find some musicians who just want to play but everyone wants to be paid to play their instrument and as for drummers, that up above is Superior Drummer Midi Programming done by a drummer friend of mine, If I were gonna pay a drummer I would probably go with Andols Herrick formerly of Chimaira as he is only a bit more expensive than what an average joe drummer wants, one regular Joe here in OKC wanted $300 a song, and Andols Herrick is $450, good deal for a proven Metal/hardcore Drummer.

As for bass I am saving up for a Dingwall 5 String to do the bass myself because again people want money, and I am hesitant to pay people before I hear a sample of what they could do over my stuff and no one will oblige that, This is also more of a Solo Project that I have gotten help from old musician friends from back in Oregon, and they want no credit except whatever they wrote, some hired guns want production credits and mixing credits and all sorts of credit where it is not due from my experience, and I usually end up spending WEEKS on a track when it comes to editing and mixing. Why just the other week I found a drummer here in OKC who said he wanted to jam, than proceeded to tell me anything we jammed on was his and I could not use it elsewhere because he would have been Co-Writer.....I just laughed and proceeded to block him from my phone.

This is an album that when I do release it, will be Free/Pay What You Want or Can if you feel like it....No delusions of grandeur to play shows off of it or anything, in fact the only way that would happen is if I was getting guaranteed $, I am too old to go around selling tickets for a show then eating the cost if you dont sell them, I did that in a band when I was 17 and we worked our way up to opening for the likes of Chevelle and Korn and Rob Zombie when they were in town, I love making and performing music if it were economically justifiable...it's just that it isn't.

TLDR Version: People want songwriting and arrangement credit, when they are hired to write and play one instrument, and arrangements and songs are already completed 100% by myself, horsecrap.

TLDR x2: I really just want a dedicated writing partner, prefereably a drummer who knows how to program MIDI in a DAW. MY drummer friend in Oregon doing mine runs a Software company and only gets to it for 15-30 minute at a time.

Last edited:

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ya I have tried to find some musicians who just want to play but everyone wants to be paid to play their instrument and as for drummers, that up above is Superior Drummer Midi Programming done by a drummer friend of mine, If I were gonna pay a drummer I would probably go with Andols Herrick formerly of Chimaira as he is only a bit more expensive than what an average joe drummer wants, one regular Joe here in OKC wanted $300 a song, and Andols Herrick is $450, good deal for a proven Metal/hardcore Drummer.

As for bass I am saving up for a Dingwall 5 String to do the bass myself because again people want money, and I am hesitant to pay people before I hear a sample of what they could do over my stuff and no one will oblige that, This is also more of a Solo Project that I have gotten help from old musician friends from back in Oregon, and they want no credit except whatever they wrote, some hired guns want production credits and mixing credits and all sorts of credit where it is not due from my experience, and I usually end up spending WEEKS on a track when it comes to editing and mixing. Why just the other week I found a drummer here in OKC who said he wanted to jam, than proceeded to tell me anything we jammed on was his and I could not use it elsewhere because he would have been Co-Writer.....I just laughed and proceeded to block him from my phone.

This is an album that when I do release it, will be Free/Pay What You Want or Can if you feel like it....No delusions of grandeur to play shows off of it or anything, in fact the only way that would happen is if I was getting guaranteed $, I am too old to go around selling tickets for a show then eating the cost if you dont sell them, I did that in a band when I was 17 and we worked our way up to opening for the likes of Chevelle and Korn and Rob Zombie when they were in town, I love making and performing music if it were economically justifiable...it's just that it isn't.

TLDR Version: People want songwriting and arrangement credit, when they are hired to write and play one instrument, and arrangements and songs are already completed 100% by myself, horsecrap.

Gotcha, I totally understand, been there done that. Good luck on it.

At some point I will be doing an instrumental EP myself but its going to be awhile as Ive been so busy doing shows with the different bands Im in right now plus trying to run my own businesses. It will definitely be something more like Jeff Loomis's solo stuff, not anything like the sterile wankoff shite like most instrumental stuff.

Andols Herrick, way fcking cool, one of my ultimate fave drummers. Is he living in Cleveland?(Ohio)?

On my demos I either use an online drum program, program my own with my machine, or use a drum program in my recording suite. Recording Im using a Fractal AX-FX Ultra just for doing my demos and writing for the bands- its just so much easier than mic'ing a cab and then dealing with heads. I can get pretty close to the tone of my one of my heads- I use Peavey 5150/6505s and Mesa's ( Duals, MKIVs, and a RoadKing combo)- and then I just add cab sims. I also like to do all my own bass parts. Its just easier because I know whats in my head and even though I write music and can write up some charts for someone they almost never get the groove right thats in my head, better off doing it yourself.

ZombieHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gotcha, I totally understand, been there done that. Good luck on it. At some point I will be doing an instrumental EP myself but its going to be awhile as Ive been so busy doing shows with bands. It will definitely be something more like Jeff Loomis's solo stuff, not anything like the sterile wankoff shite like most instrumental stuff.

Andols Herrick, cool, one of my ultimate fave drummers. Is he living in Cleveland?(Ohio)?

On my demos I either use an online drum program, program my own with my machine, or use a drum program in my recording suite. Im using a Fractal AX-FX Ultra these days just for doing my demos and writing for the bands- so much easier than mic'ing a cab and dealing with heads. With the right cab sims on I can get pretty close to the tone of my one of my heads- I use Peavey 5150/6505s or my Mesa's ( Duals, MKIVs, RoadKing combo). I also like to do all my own bass parts. Its just easier because I know whats in my head and even though I write music and can write up some charts for someone they almost never get the groove right thats in my head.

You should check out CloudKicker if you have never heard it, just one guy doing everything, full instrumental, freaking kills.

Ya Andols is in Cleveland, but he has a deal with Ben Schigel who did most if not all the Chimaira Albums to record at his studio for a flat $150 a track however long it takes him, so Andols makes $300 out of that $450, and you get a SUPER professionally recorded drum track, in a studio designed by an acoustician, versus average drummers with home studios in a treated room with mid level gear for the same price, its almost a no-brainer to go with someone like Andols, or even Navene Kopperweis formerly of Animals as Leaders.

Ya I am using a POD HD PRO rackmount right now, using just the pres and Impulses for final product, mostly God's Cab and Sneap Impulses, clips above are just the POD tho, as writing with impulses in the box gets messy. I have an AXE-FX II on the way but it's gonna be another few weeks until it even ships, not too worried about it as I can get super close to an AXE sound out of the POD HD PRO and impulses, those things are a GODSEND compared to the sterile "wet blanket over the cabinet" sound of digital amp sims in the studio back in 2005 even. Usually use a Fireball and Triple Rectifier pre-amp combo and the above mentioned Sneap or God's Cab Impulses, the Sneaps are a vintage Marshall 1960 Greenback mic'd with a Neumann U87 on the one's I use, also the standard Shure sm57 on a few, just use LeCab for impulse generation and layer inside of that, one Stereo track and you can have 6 different cab sounds all in phase and good to go, so freaking awesome, throw a Low pass on it and usually all you need, I am in the school of recording the BEST possible tone period, and if NECESSARY, removing troublesome frequencies in the mix as needed, not record then EQ and shape to suit....yucky!

For the AXE-FX II incoming I actually got a hold of a few artists I admire patches through Misha Mansoor of Periphery...before Periphery had a 2nd album done, I have all of his, Animals as Leaders as well as Born of Osiris's personal patches, not the one's they release on axechange, I have mentioned that in passing on sevenstring.org and was just swarmed with offers of hundreds some thousands of $ just for a USB key with these patches, as if it will make them intantly able to produce the same finished product.

Needless to say I swore to never do that when they were given to me as well as never give them out period, so I dont mention it too often, I can point people in the right direction for their tone though....Less Gain more Mid throw a tubescreamer in with a FEW gates for good measure...figure it out....there is too much to factor in with pickups and guitar/wood type, I use most of the same pickups that those above mentioned do which is Bareknuckle or Lundgren or nothing at all.

I am on a few waiting lists now for my first ever custom guitars, right now I am doing most stuff on an original Ibanez RG 7620 7 string with bareknuckle aftermath matched set, Ibanez Steve Vai Universe 7 String with Lundgren M7 matched set and a Jackson SLSMG 6 string with Bareknuckle aftermath in bridge only. The customs I am getting is a Mayones Regius 7, and a Strandberg similar to THIS, but its a 2 year wait on the Mayones when I paid for it back in November, and almost 3 on the Strandberg, sucks because there are alot of great production 7's from Jackson and 8's from Ibanez this year at Namm that I would love to have but dumped too much into the customs.

What do you use for a DAW? I use to be tied to Pro Fools and Logic but when Reaper hit 4.0 I made the switch and haven't looked back once. Full Functionality in the free version with a nag on open, but $60 for a license with a full two X.0 upgrades cant be beat. That is mainly how I was able to afford the AXE-II and custom guitars was selling my Pro Tools HD RIG, PCI-E card and 192 I/O sold for more than I paid for them, but I got them when I was at Berklee College of Music and the Recording Dept. bought too many systems so I got them for WAY less than retail at the time...definitely nowhere near the $6,000 something the cards were retailing for, And I am glad I got rid of it when I did as I was not about to upgrade to the new HDX system, and shell out more than I paid for it in upgrade cost, AVID is all that is wrong with the industry to me, MASSIVE marketing budgets and no innovation, where-as with Reaper you can request features on their forums, and it might take some time, but usually if its useful and they can, will implement it.

Last edited:

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You should check out CloudKicker if you have never heard it, just one guy doing everything, full instrumental, freaking kills.

Ya Andols is in Cleveland, but he has a deal with Ben Schigel who did most if not all the Chimaira Albums to record at his studio for a flat $150 a track however long it takes him.

Ya I am using a POD HD PRO rackmount right now, using just the pres and Impulses for final product, mostly God's Cab and Sneap Impulses. I have an AXE-FX II on the way but it's gonna be another few weeks until it even ships, not too worried about it as I can get super close to an AXE sound out of the POD HD PRO and impulses, those things are a GODSEND compared to the sterile "wet blanket over the cabinet" sound of digital amp sims in the studio back in 2005 even. Usually use a Fireball and Triple Rectifier pre-amp combo and the above mentioned Sneap or God's Cab Impulses, the Sneaps are a vintage Marshall 1960 Greenback mic'd with a Neumann U87 on the one's I use, also the standard Shure sm57 on a few, just use LeCab for impulse generation and layer inside of that, one Stereo track and you can have 6 different cab sounds all in phase and good to go, so freaking awesome, throw a Low pass on it and usually all you need, I am of the school in guitar of recording the BEST possible tone period, and if NECESSARY, removing troublesome frequencies in the mix as needed, not record then EQ and shape to suit....yucky!

For the AXE-FX II incoming I actually got a hold of a few artists I admire patches through Misha Mansoor of Periphery...before Periphery had a 2nd album done, I have all of his, Animals as Leaders as well as Born of Osiris's personal patches, not the one's they release on axechange, I have mentioned that in passing on sevenstring.org and was just swarmed with offers of hundreds some thousands of $ just for a USB key with these patches, needless to say I swore to never do that when they were given to me as well as never give them out period, so I dont mention it too often, I can point people in the right direction for their tone though....Less Gain more Mid throw a tubescreamer in with a FEW gates for good measure...figure it out....there is too much to factor in with pickups and guitar/wood type, I use most of the same pickups that those above mentioned do which is Bareknuckle or Lundgren or nothing at all.

Im a big Tosin Abasi/AAL and Periphery fan as well as a few others in the genre.

I play metal mostly, some fusion on the side, but also have always been really into industrial/metal and right now am playing around with an industrial band trying to get a sound going. Sync'ing our gear and our minds. Its going too slow, Im too impatient.

Im using 7s in different tunings as well as a few 6s also in different tunings plus my backups but havent cracked open my one 8 yet even though I have bandmates who are toying with them. I dont need em, I can do as much or more with my 7s and drop tunings. Ive been using EMG actives and Floyd original trems on my superstrats since I was a kid in the 80s in my first bands, even use EMGs in the few Les Pauls I own. Theyre perfect for my style and the gear I use. Went straight to them after using DiMarzio Freds and X2Ns for awhile. I have some SD Blackouts in a few guitars but I prefer my EMGs. 81-7s, not those 707s.

ZombieHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im a big Tosin Abasi/AAL and Periphery fan as well as a few others in the genre.

I play metal mostly, some fusion on the side, but also have always been really into industrial/metal and right now am playing around with an industrial band trying to get a sound going. Sync'ing our gear and our minds. Its going too slow, Im too impatient.

Im using 7s in different tunings as well as a few 6s also in different tunings plus my backups but havent cracked open my one 8 yet even though I have bandmates who are toying with them. I dont need em, I can do as much or more with my 7s and drop tunings. Ive been using EMG actives and Floyd original trems on my superstrats since I was a kid in the 80s in my first bands, even use EMGs in the few Les Pauls I own. Theyre perfect for my style and the gear I use. Went straight to them after using DiMarzio Freds and X2Ns for awhile. I have some SD Blackouts in a few guitars but I prefer my EMGs. 81-7s, not those 707s.

Active Pickups! Man you gotta get yourself some Bareknuckle Aftermath or Rebel yells, WORLD of difference in Articulation and Clarity with string skipping and sweep picking, as well as tapping and harmonics, I use to use the EMG-81 myself on every guitar but after hearing Misha and the like's tone knew I had to go passive, try it out on one of your favorite guitars and you will be like "why...how....**** batteries!".

The 8 string to me is just so I don't have to setup and intonate my 7's as much (hate Floyd Rose, love Microtuners), I mostly play in standard with a drop A or ADGCFAD or ACGCFAD, with an 8 string I would probably just keep it setup for F#ACGCFAD so I could tune that low C up to D with little to no fuss.

Mostly just want the other 7 and 8 so I can have one guitar in EVERY possible tuning I play, so I only have to setup and intonate once a year, instead of every time I tune, because even with blocked floyd's I have to slightly adjust the truss rod, and slightly adjust the bridge....sigh....HURRY UP OLA!

I am impatient too when it comes to collaboration, its like, seriously? with all these tools available to create WHEREVER you may be there is NO excuse, none at all. Only artist that could be considered industrial I listen to regularly is NIN or anything Trent Reznor is a part of, that guy is a freaking genius, not only musically but commercially he is probably one of the better off independent musicians there is besides RadioHead.

I use to play on some Gibsons then all the headstocks started snapping at the nut so I researched and found that its a notorious gibson flaw that using super heavy gauge strings will result in broken gibsons they just are not built to take .64's or larger, broke 2 SG standards and a Les Paul Studio all at the Nut, and all within 2 years of each other. Just for reference I use .74's-13's on my 7's, .64-13 on 6's, 8 I will probably use custom set with an .80 on top.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom