Anyone work midnights or long shifts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

capnkirk462

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just started working night shifts again, it has been at least 5+ years since the last time I did. Use to being at work around 6 a.m. Didn't know if I would like it or not. I am really liking it. I get really good sleep. Actually do stuff before and after work. But there is almost nothing open when I get off of work and I live in Norman. Just bars, a few gas stations, and Crest. Last time I worked nights work just kept working me to death for weeks, every day 12 hours or so. One night on the way home I ran a red light and didn't even notice it for about a block. Thank god it was summer in Norman and a Tuesday night, no one was out at all. Well I had a little talk with work about that and went to shorter shifts and better days off. Oh, I motorcycle so that was extra bad if something would of happened that night. The only draw back I can see is maybe my electricity bill could be higher or not. Just going to wait and see.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've worked 2300-0700 for years. I freaking L-O-V-E it!

It's a lot quieter (is that even a word?) :scratch:
Traffic is nothing.
The boss isn't around.
It's cooler in the summer.
Lots of alone/me time.

Of course, it has It's down sides too.

Rough on the family life.
You develop more road rage on your days off.
Sleep deprivation.
You become rather cynical.
Tacos for breakfast.

It's definitely not for everyone and folks that have never worked an all nighter don't have a clue why when they call or come over at 2 in the afternoon, you're in bed.

I'll even hear em say things like, "you work at night? Like...ALL night? What do you do all night?"

0de201c103bcde9d0d682b5d45750cdf2a738421_full.jpg

capnkirk462

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of my problems right now is my days off are Sunday and Monday. I usually like getting all my crap done on my first day off then do stupid crap on the second. Man do I hate Sundays, I am not a crowd type of person. Plus a lot of places close a little early on Sundays now. Hell, I don't get motivated till around 9 p.m. and there is not much to do on Sundays at 10 p.m. The good thing is there is a nice 24/7 laundromat in Moore and I usually go to it around 2-4 a.m. I had to black out all my windows. But so far so good.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Worked 12 hour nights at the hospital for 16 years, but have been on days for the last 11. Much easier on the marriage and yes it is hard to get everyone else to realize you sleep during the day. I used to program 8 hour internet searches, back in dial up days, to tie up my phone line during the day. That way no one could call me.

capnkirk462

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I worked the midnight shift for several years in the past.
Had a co-worker (much older and wiser than me at the time) tell me, “Working the night shift - you never feel good, you just get used to feeling bad.”
…I soon figured out that he was right!
That is why I was skeptical about going back to nights. The last time I did it, it was horrible. But this time around it is working great for me. But I am so used to waking up at 4ish in the morning to go to work maybe my body is enjoying the change for a while. Well time to slowly go to work. Have a good day/night/morning.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I worked shift work nearly my entire adult, working life. There were times after some graveyard shifts I'd find myself sitting in my truck in my driveway and had no memory of driving home. That's scary.

Happens to me all the time. I'll have people say to me, "I passed you on the highway the other day. I waved, but you didn't wave back. Did you not see me?"

My usual response is, "I was more than likely asleep." :zzz2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom