Found a hunting failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ha Ha

1: failure to sight in rifle
2: didn't know how shooting down at an angle affects your Point of Aim
3: cheap scope or dropped rifle after sight in.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hate to say I did that once in my early days of deer hunting. We were on a steep bluff, and a nice buck was 200 yds downhill at a steep angle. I emptied my Rem 742 on him and kept elevating, when in reality, I should have been shooting lower.
The shooter in this video shot left consistantly. I'm saying the scope.

MBB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate to say I did that once in my early days of deer hunting. We were on a steep bluff, and a nice buck was 200 yds downhill at a steep angle. I emptied my Rem 742 on him and kept elevating, when in reality, I should have been shooting lower.
The shooter in this video shot left consistantly. I'm saying the scope.

Agreed.

Shooter00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had one years ago, too. Cow elk on an opposing ridge, I guessed she was around 300, so with the .270 zeroed at 200, not much change. I don't know if there was an updraft coming up the draw or what, but both flew high and impacted the slope just over her back. The second shot spooked her, and she went to running through the pinions. I emptied the last three as she ran, reloaded two more and sent them before she went over the top. I was so rattled from the first two misses, it was stupid to continue to fire, especially trying to hit a running target. I got down to the bottom of the mesa, and the old timers were asking who was doing all of the shooting. I admitted it was me, but they didn't believe me. They said that was an automatic someone was shooting. Nope, I was just working that bolt on my old 700. Good lesson for me, missing such an easy shot - twice, I let my pisstivity get out of hand and all it did was make me look like a rookie fool!

ENC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was hunting with a younger guy once and he had a 30-30 (like 7 rounds loaded). I watched him lever all the rounds out of the rifle at a deer. I walked over to him and gave him a quizzical look. He said he didn't know what happened, all the shots felt good. I pointed at the pile on the ground and said you didn't pull the trigger!!! Buck fever can do funny things to people.

Evan

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was hunting with a younger guy once and he had a 30-30 (like 7 rounds loaded). I watched him lever all the rounds out of the rifle at a deer. I walked over to him and gave him a quizzical look. He said he didn't know what happened, all the shots felt good. I pointed at the pile on the ground and said you didn't pull the trigger!!! Buck fever can do funny things to people.

Evan

Or it was one of the lawyered up 30-30 with a hammer and crossbolt safety and dropped the hammer on the safety 7 times.

Latest posts

Top Bottom