Free floating 10-22 with hogue stock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not sure, I'm looking to find that out.

The reason being is with the factory barrel, its not fitted to the action and can be a little loose where they meet. The only support the barrel really has is the v-block. The result is barrel "droop". A little pressure, especially to the end of the forend will push up alleviating the said droop. Thats the reason a lot of high end 10/22 builders thread the barrel and action. A replacement barrel, hand fight tightly will have the same result.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
The reason being is with the factory barrel, its not fitted to the action and can be a little loose where they meet. The only support the barrel really has is the v-block. The result is barrel "droop". A little pressure, especially to the end of the forend will push up alleviating the said droop. Thats the reason a lot of high end 10/22 builders thread the barrel and action. A replacement barrel, hand fight tightly will have the same result.

So if I'm reading this correctly, if I have a factory barrel, I should leave the stock touching the handguard.

08H3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got it, I'll give that a shot. Maybe shave a little with a razor.

With free floating my barrel.... Is it going to do much for me? Or am I just wasting my time on this?

I will have to consider that. I was thinking of purchasing a new trigger group, I think it's made by hornet or something. About $140. A little more than I wanna spend, but it's about the only thing I'm looking to upgrade.

So if I'm reading this correctly, if I have a factory barrel, I should leave the stock touching the handguard.

Here is the easiest way I can think to explain things around the barrel being floated. Every rifle is different. That being said your rifle might respond very well to being free floated. Likewise if it does not you can always add inner tube spacers as a pressure point to the front of the barrel channel. But you don't want the sides to be touching, and you don't want any kind of varying pressure if you shoot off of a bipod try free floating the barrel enough that the weight of the rifle does not cause enough sag that the stock hits it.

08H3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use my little belt sander to radius the back side of the bolt too, helps make the action smoother.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is the easiest way I can think to explain things around the barrel being floated. Every rifle is different. That being said your rifle might respond very well to being free floated. Likewise if it does not you can always add inner tube spacers as a pressure point to the front of the barrel channel. But you don't want the sides to be touching, and you don't want any kind of varying pressure if you shoot off of a bipod try free floating the barrel enough that the weight of the rifle does not cause enough sag that the stock hits it.

Awesome. I get it now, makes perfect sense.

bwcaq

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up the same rifle on Black Friday, and it has the exact same thing going on where the stock is touching a little. I basically just shimmed it and shot it with the shims still in place. After a few months I removed the shims and it's straightened itself out.
Honestly....I can't tell a difference in accuracy, but that might be more of a reflection on my shooting than anything else.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmmm I'll have to see, I'm most likely heading out to canadian valley today to zero it out and get a good baseline after I piddle around with my car.

Latest posts

Top Bottom