Freezer in a Garage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to get a freezer so I could buy beef by the qtr, port by the side and miscellaneous meats like lamb and goat.

Only place to put one though would be in the garage.

Winter - no problem but in the summer the temps in the garage can get easily into the high 80's and 90's and even some days 100+ degrees.

Would a freezer work under those conditions?

RaysZ71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a freezer and a fridge and my garage gets pretty hot in the summer.. I've had them both for over 9 year sand never had any issues.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd like to get a freezer so I could buy beef by the qtr, port by the side and miscellaneous meats like lamb and goat.

Only place to put one though would be in the garage.

Winter - no problem but in the summer the temps in the garage can get easily into the high 80's and 90's and even some days 100+ degrees.

Would a freezer work under those conditions?

I have two in my shop and they work fine.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys...

Got'ny recommendations on brand and how many cubic feet to hold say a hindquarter of beef, half a hog and maybe a side of goat and side of lamb?

BoomerShooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have my freezer in the garage - it has never missed a beat - I wanted to have room for all the fish and deer meat when I moved from Louisiana - it works perfect.

I have an upright Kenmore - 14.4 cuft I believe - takes less footprint than a chest style

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our freezer is in the garage and has been for years.

One thing I would recommend is a chest type non frost free. While it is a bit of a pain defrosting once a year or so, your meat will stay good longer without the heating/cooling defrost cycle. Chest type also does not have to work as hard to keep things cold whenever you open the door.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our freezer is in the garage and has been for years.

One thing I would recommend is a chest type non frost free. While it is a bit of a pain defrosting once a year or so, your meat will stay good longer without the heating/cooling defrost cycle. Chest type also does not have to work as hard to keep things cold whenever you open the door.

I completely agree with the above.

Also, with the value of what you are storing, I'd fill any large empty spaces with sealed bags or blocks of ice. That way there is less air to lose when opening the lid and the ice will keep it cold longer if there is a multi-day power outage.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I completely agree with the above.

Also, with the value of what you are storing, I'd fill any large empty spaces with sealed bags or blocks of ice. That way there is less air to lose when opening the lid and the ice will keep it cold longer if there is a multi-day power outage.

Empty 2LT pop bottles filled about 80% full on water make great ice blocks for your freezer. I keep several in mine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom