Garbage Disposal question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I need to replace my garbage disposal, and I'm wondering what y'all recommend. I currently have an InSinkErator, and it looks like the impeller has seized--but I'm pretty sure it's at least 20 years old, and was working fine the last time I used it, so I really can't complain too much.

Two things to consider on this:
1) I'm on a septic system, so I rarely put anything through it other than liquids; and
2) I'm a bachelor, so I use it very infrequently. I think it has been months, if not a year, since I last ran it...

I'm sure item #2 is a contributing factor in its demise--plus, it's a two-basin sink, and I rarely use that side for anything other than holding dishes before washing them.

I've seen the "septic safe" disposals that use a bottle of enzymes to help break down the food, but I use it so infrequently for so little that I don't see enough value in it to justify the cost, but...

Also, the disposal is where my dishwasher (another infrequently-used appliance) connects to the waste line. I don't know if that's a universal feature of disposals these days, but its definitely a concern for me.

At any rate, if you have a recommendation on garbage disposals, I would appreciate hearing it.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try to free it like others mentioned. Or find the reset button underneath.

Mine went out in my old house last year. I could "jump" it by starting it with a wooden broom handle (thinking it was jammed and I could free it... this is not a recommended diagnostic procedure but you can try it and tread carefully :D ), but then it spun up without a jam present. So it would not kick on bu itself. Which means there's something weak in the motor system on it. I don't know how serviceable they are for brushes, capacitors, etc... but I just installed a nearly identical base model ISE one. It's loud and doesn't work very well. My newer house has a larger ISE, which I remember from shopping runs closer to 200-250 compared to the ~110 bucks I spent. In retrospect, it is worth it to get the larger model. Quieter, works so much better that my sink never slows or starts to back up like it did with the lesser one. Like many things in life, it's worth springing for nicer one.

They all should have an inlet for a dishwasher these days. If a house has no dish washer, you just cap that inlet. Your being on septic shouldn't matter much really, as you know what and what NOT to put down your drain anyway, making the disposal of little relevance.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In-Sinkerator are pretty good for the money. I replaced a builder grade garbage disposal that started leaking under my sink. So even if you don't use your disposal often, you still need to consider quality.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, quality is definitely a consideration.

BTW, it's going to be a new disposal. I was able to free the impeller, and found a little bitty chunk of porcelain down inside the beast. Pulled it out and fired her up, and spin, spin, spin, kerbango. I guess I didn't get all of it, and that plus 20+ years of corrosion equals "she done blowed a hole in her side." Now I have a freely-spinning impeller in an ISE that won't hold water. :(

I wonder if Home Depot is open today...

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yes they are open as is lowes.. I just got 2 water heater elements.. fun times.
You can use the old disposal to make a pin tumbler :)

W150

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Two things to consider on this:
1) I'm on a septic system, so I rarely put anything through it other than liquids; and
2) I'm a bachelor, so I use it very infrequently. I think it has been months, if not a year, since I last ran it...

I guess my question would be why replace it?
I would just remove it and plumb it as a normal sink.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No such thing as a septic safe disposal. I recently got quite an education from a member on here who deals in that field and turns out, the system needs to be fed or the bacteria dies. A healthy system will never need to be pumped out either. I forget the name of the gentleman but hes the one who did the epic "food plot basics" thread.

Latest posts

Top Bottom