Gardening 2013

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

11b1776

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have grass/weeds that I sprayed earlier to kill, is it better to just till it up with the dirt or I thought about burning it first then tilling it under. Which is more beneficial? I do realize I maybe a little behind the curve on my gardening. This can be the OSA official gardening thread, and if we have one already, this can be the UNOFFICIAL OSA gardening thread!

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
to me depends on how tall it was before spraying and how much, if it was alot of it run the mower over it then till if not much just till

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Im in the till it camp too. You'll have to stay after the weeds, grass, etc. cause the seeds and such are still in the dirt. I haven't had too many problems though. Seems the veggies want to grow more than the weeds...well at least the really agressive weeds any way. Any you can pull or hoe the weeds that come up. If you have a big garden leave enough room between veggie rows for your tiller.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Spray, burn or till, gardens will have weeds. Thats what wives, kids and neices an nephews are for. Thats also why i grow water melons and cantaloupes, very weed tolerant.

11b1776

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe I should clarify, I have a garden spot that hasn't been one for a few years, it now looks like the rest of my yard covered in some grass and mostly clover looking weeds with little purple flowers on top,(dang those things are tuff!) I have sprayed and killed them mostly, so now I was wanting to either just till it up or burn the dead stuff and then till it. Which is more benificial to the soil, or does it matter? I like fire!!!

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started a garden in my yard a couple of years ago and just tilled up a patch. It worked OK, but I got really tired of fighting the weeds and grass creeping in.

This year I framed a few raised beds and I'm adding the soil tomorrow morning. I'll be putting down a layer of newspaper a few sheets thick before I top it with soil. There will always be a few weeds here and there, but this should help tremendously especially with the grass.

If I had it to do over, I would have started with the raised beds from the very beginning.

jrguns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Roundup is a gread idea to use to kill weeds off. It works into the roots and kills the entire plant. However if there is Bermuda present it is still dormant and you will not get it killed att all. If so you need to wait for it to green up and spray it then. Either way, durn and till or just till is good. If you are going with small plants and not seeds you can use a preemergence to help control the weed seeds waiting to grow. This will help in cutting down the hoing and weed pulling time. Or you can wait for the seeds to grow some and apply the preemergence at a latter time. If you stay on it by next year you can have it under control. You can also use the roundup during the year to control weeds as they grow. If you have any other questions ask or PM me for help. I have a Master's degree in Horticulture and 35 years of experience.

Latest posts

Top Bottom