Gardening 2013

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Raised beds are the easiest, they don't have to be fancy or with treated wood. I use scrap 2x8s and few 2x4 for support. Pretty big fan of layers of newspaper, once again, cheap or free. Have several people plant in their existing flowerbeds as well.

Travis73

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How tall should a raised bed be? This will be my first year (to attempt) to grow a garden. My seeds have started sprouting and I still haven't decided which direction to go yet.

dan45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did a raised bed out of 2X6's.
Debating on doing it this year after watching everything
burn up in the heat the last two years.

Reasor's has some fine looking produce.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe I should clarify, I have a garden spot that hasn't been one for a few years, it now looks like the rest of my yard covered in some grass and mostly clover looking weeds with little purple flowers on top,(dang those things are tuff!) I have sprayed and killed them mostly, so now I was wanting to either just till it up or burn the dead stuff and then till it. Which is more benificial to the soil, or does it matter? I like fire!!!

Those weeds with the purple flowers are henbit. If you have trouble with red spiders attacking your tomato plants, its because they winter in the henbit. Keeping it sprayed/killed will help later on.

If you want the best garden you can get, make sure you get a soil sample analyzed. Soil PH is very important for plant growth. OSU does the soil samples for $10. If you list what veggi's your going to grow, they will give you specific instructions on what you need to get the soil right for the plants your putting in. Some like acid soil, some like alkalyn.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finished up the raised beds this afternoon and got a few things planted. I just have a few finishing touches to add to the walking paths. Not sure if I'm going to go with river rock or stone steps.

i36.photobucket.com_albums_e33_ripple420_photo2_zpsbe3a7f69.jpg

i36.photobucket.com_albums_e33_ripple420_photo1_zps5c10f393.jpg

11b1776

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks as the next 2 days won't be to good for doing anything around here 90% & 100% chances of rain the next 2 days. I guess I could till in the rain maybe if its not to bad. Do they sell soil testers at any local stores? OSU is a 2 week wait.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks as the next 2 days won't be to good for doing anything around here 90% & 100% chances of rain the next 2 days. I guess I could till in the rain maybe if its not to bad. Do they sell soil testers at any local stores? OSU is a 2 week wait.

You can't till in the rain. A mud ball in the tiller will ensue.
You can buy some PH testers in the store, but what I've read, they aren't that good.

Google "testing ph in garden soil" and see what comes up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom