Generator Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Rasberry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I got slapped in the face with reality.

Was fixing to order a 20kwh Kohler generator for about $5500, figured double that price w/ installation....... Nope they want 16k roughly for the work to install it with the auto transfer switch, stub out my propane tank line etc. At 22k roughly, I think I can deal with some extra ******** if we lose power.

So alterate plan, I need to find a wood stove insert for my unused chimney would be ideal. (Never shopped for these) And then for the fridge/freezer/space heaters or portable AC's a big portable generator outside.

Only issue is I'm scared of week long outages neighbors have reported in other years. So fuel is the question, I'm not sure how fast a gen will burn through gasoline, but it means I need a ton of propane cylinders or gas and worrying about keeping it fresh.

So I'd still like to try and figure out if I can get a hookup installed to run a portable off my 250gallon propane and of course get a house with interlock switch installed.

I just don't know **** about the generators themselves, whether for rare occasional use I can get the biggest harbor freight, or what brands are still good these days instead of coasting on name + advertising. I'd intend to have my tv/computers off, but not sure if I still need to attempt to get a inverter generator so the power quality doesn't zap my fridge or something else possibly sensitive.
Propane doesn't spoil

Bravo1413

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I got slapped in the face with reality.

Was fixing to order a 20kwh Kohler generator for about $5500, figured double that price w/ installation....... Nope they want 16k roughly for the work to install it with the auto transfer switch, stub out my propane tank line etc. At 22k roughly, I think I can deal with some extra ******** if we lose power.

So alterate plan, I need to find a wood stove insert for my unused chimney would be ideal. (Never shopped for these) And then for the fridge/freezer/space heaters or portable AC's a big portable generator outside.

Only issue is I'm scared of week long outages neighbors have reported in other years. So fuel is the question, I'm not sure how fast a gen will burn through gasoline, but it means I need a ton of propane cylinders or gas and worrying about keeping it fresh.

So I'd still like to try and figure out if I can get a hookup installed to run a portable off my 250gallon propane and of course get a house with interlock switch installed.

I just don't know **** about the generators themselves, whether for rare occasional use I can get the biggest harbor freight, or what brands are still good these days instead of coasting on name + advertising. I'd intend to have my tv/computers off, but not sure if I still need to attempt to get a inverter generator so the power quality doesn't zap my fridge or something else possibly sensitive.
I just installed a 4000 watt (8000 surge) inverter and solar panels on the roof with 4, 110 amp batteries that run 2 freezers in my garage. I will monitor to see if I need another battery or a couple more panels. So far about $1200. Also have a 8000 watt (13000 surge) generator. Disconnect air compressor in garage and plug in generator. Turn off main power switch and back feed into house. All cooking done outside in BBQ shack. Grill, flat top, Pisa oven, deep fryer, air fryer. All on propane. Heat inside is fireplace. Also made outside wood burning cook stove. Have well with 1100 gal. Tank for back up. Hope I’m good. Haven’t had an occasion to try or need generator yet.

Fitz-

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
hey brother, check out currentech out of kingfisher. 405-863-8650 [email protected] They installed a 22kw Generac with switch and tapped the gas meter and house. 10k out the door. We are very happy with what they did, and no one else could even touch their price and install was seamless and clean.
Thanks, not sure they'll want to go east of tulsa though

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When we got ours we used Faith Electric, now called Generator Super Store or Center in Edmond.

I don’t know where your’e located or who your electric service is with but you might contact them and see if they have a program where they help install a generator.

For what it’s worth I’ve heard quite a few people say Generac’s are the Cadillac’s of the generator world.

During the polar vortex what 3-4 years ago, we lost power for 11 days straight, our Generac ran that entire time except for an hour or so, which is when I shut it down and changed the oil and checked the air filter.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So electricity goes out and you lose everything in your refrig and freezer. It is bad but if you don't spring for an expensive generator and installation, you can buy it all for a fraction of what the generator and installation cost.

Fitz-

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So electricity goes out and you lose everything in your refrig and freezer. It is bad but if you don't spring for an expensive generator and installation, you can buy it all for a fraction of what the generator and installation cost.
I said I'm electric heat, it's nice to not freeze, I have parrots, maybe another saltwater tank in the future. Rural area sees extended outages at times.

I also have $1000 in beef in the deep freeze etc.

Old thread though, already ended up getting the generator installed for 2.2k, about 6-7 all in.

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Who did you use? Cost breakdown?
i was about to ask my son who is an electrician
He and his boss were doing these installs on the weekend.

i have always had gas logs and gas stove for some of the reasons you mention(heat, cooking) sonce you don't Need electricity to use those.

my inlaws were rural and they lost elec for over 2 weeks a few years back

Last edited:

Fitz-

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Who did you use? Cost breakdown?
i was about to ask my son who is an electrician
He and his boss were doing these installs on the weekend.

i have always had gas logs and gas stove for some of the reasons you mention(heat, cooking) sonce you don't Need electricity to use those.
I got the generac direct from HD to get on the last day of sale extending warranty to like 10 years. I think I got a break on the price with the electrician, since he works for/ with my wife's employer on big commercial stuff.

6k for the 22kwh and 2.2k install.

Latest posts

Top Bottom