Getting a Kindle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mine has 3g, which is nice. If you don't have a wireless network in your house then I guess it might be worth the extra money because it'll save you from having to go to Starbucks to download books.

Moving my half-ton book collection to a different apartment a few months ago made me wish they'd invented these sooner.

benjamin-benjamin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
my sis in law is a big reader and my bro did a ton of research before he bought her one.. he ended up getting her a nook from B and N because he said it is better, then gave me some reasons, but i wasn't really paying attention... but trust me he does his research before buying something....

Danny Tanner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bought the missus the $189 Kindle for Christmas. She had several physical books added to her wishlist that I was able to download all to the Kindle. I've been thinking about getting one for myself, too. The screen looks great, a true e-Ink screen is pretty amazing over the Kindle apps for phones, PC, iPad, etc.

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
None of the above. Get an ipad. Barnes and Noble has a nook app, Amazon has a Kindle app, and Apple has its own app and book store.

The ipad is a little more (especially if you go with the 3G version), but it does a whole lot more.

This is not necessarily a good reccomendation. I have both and can tell you that reading for long periods of time or in the sun is really hard on the eyes. Also, the iPad is a lot heavier and can be very hard to hold for long periods of time. If you are going to read a lot, get the Kindle.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just ordered my wife a Nook Color from Best Buy. B&N website didn't show them instock. BB had the same price.

Read up on CNET.com on the reviews of each. That will make the decision for you.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
None of the above. Get an ipad. Barnes and Noble has a nook app, Amazon has a Kindle app, and Apple has its own app and book store.

The ipad is a little more (especially if you go with the 3G version), but it does a whole lot more.

It does a little more like kill your eyes when you try to read a book on it. The iPad is a terrible recommendation for someone looking for an e-reader first and foremost.

I bought my wife the new 3G Kindle and a cover with a built in light for Christmas. I feel like the 3G kindle is worth the extra $50 and is the best value for the feature set over the other available e-readers.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got the wi-fi one for my girl for her birthday. She loves it.

Anything that requires back-lighting isn't really good for your eyes, like Dustin said. There are new studies out that show that using something that emits light lowers/stops your body from producing
serotonin and can mess with your sleep.

gsarg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is not necessarily a good reccomendation. I have both and can tell you that reading for long periods of time or in the sun is really hard on the eyes. Also, the iPad is a lot heavier and can be very hard to hold for long periods of time. If you are going to read a lot, get the Kindle.
I wouldn't buy an iPad right now, since they are due to be refreshed sometime within the next 3 months.

Latest posts

Top Bottom