GI vs PMags

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neginfluence04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
anyone have any GI .308 mags and wanna trade for .223 gen 2 p-mags let me know

318028_529027247116761_884664887_n.jpg

not selling only interested in trading for .308

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GI mags have way more of a history of use than PMags. PMags just have better PR. I have been in the military for just over 19yrs, over half of that in the Marine Corps as an artillery FO. I have never once used a PMag so I can not speak too their reliability. What I can say is that I can not remember many if any malfunctions attributed to my magazine. There were some, however you have to remember that GI Mags in military circulation are not exactly treated nicely and/or stored optimally. If the military has not changed to PMags I am pretty sure there is a reason. Such as PMags may not meet all of the specifications set forth for GI Mags. I have nothing against PMags I just think they are more of a fashion statement than anything.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have both... I use both... Both are function (pretty much) flawless...

But the pmags match my furniture, and my fun gun had to be a pretty gun.

Yeah, I said what everyone else secretly thinks

Cue

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I prefer Pmags over GI mags. All it takes is dropping a GI mag feed lips down on a hard surface to make it garbage.

I have dropped a fully loaded gi mag like this and it still funcyions fine. Have people actually had this problem?

cowboydoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have both... I use both... Both are function (pretty much) flawless...

But the pmags match my furniture, and my fun gun had to be a pretty gun.

Yeah, I said what everyone else secretly thinks

This is the only reason I have any PMags. I bought a bunch of GI mags and picked up some Thermold polymer mags at an estate sale before I even had an AR. Last summer I put OD green Magpul furniture on it, so I picked up a few OD green PMags to make everything match. I use all three types of mags and while the PMags feel more solid/better quality than the Thermold, they all have functioned flawlessly so far.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I have some of both. I wouldn't turn either down if I needed a mag.

My favorite perk of the PMag is that it is so much easier to hand unload if necessary.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have dropped a fully loaded gi mag like this and it still funcyions fine. Have people actually had this problem?

nope. Theres another thread on here from maybe a year ago that discusses this same thing.

Pmags give no warning when they break and can easily be over-inserted in a bolt back reload.

When a pmag feedlip fails (and they do) you cant bend em back into shape to be used in an emergency.

Has anyone tested what ambient ozone and exposure to UV light can do to pmags over the course of thirty years? I know, theyll never have a "generation" of pmags go more than 2-3 years without introducing the next version, so I guess its a moot point.

Pmags for many people (not all) give them the illusion that they know their s#@t. But the ncstar scope and grip pod give them away... lol.