Good AK gunsmith?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ive fixed several...it can be incredibly easy or not so easy. if it is a century built gun then chances are its an easy fix.

1. field strip the gun including taking off the gas tube and muzzle break.
2. mark with a pen or make a small scratch or something that shows the current alignment of the front sight base (FSB) on the barrel.
3. Drive out the 2 small pins un the underside of the FSB. Note that the front pin is what holds the detent pin for your muzzle break and has a small spring behind it. take out both of those pieces and set aside.
4. lay your barrel on a 2x4 or similar piece of wood, I usually put a towel over the wood just because.
5. with a RUBBER mallet, tap or whack if needed the front sight base in the direction of correction. Reference your marks made prior to driving the pins out to see how much it moves. It should not require more than 1/8-1/4". If you have a proven laser muzzle or bore sight it could be useful for this.
6. Drive the pins back in. Do not forget the muzzle detent pin and spring before driving in the front FSB pin.
7. Reassemble and go shoot to verify.

If you scratch anything up don't worry. Low gloss black engine enamel matches most factory painted AKs and saigas perfectly and is surprisingly durable.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
issues you might encounter:
1. the FSB wont budge even if you whack the crap out of it. This will require a press to press off the FSB so if you don't have one or know someone that does you might as well take it to a smith. Please note that the only gun that ive ever had to correct a cant on that required a press was a milled Bulgarian arsenal built gun.
2. the amount of rotation needed to correct the cant is too great. If you have to rotate the FSB too far then the milled areas on the barrel will not line up with the FSB and will need to be wollered out. This has to be done carefully as you want to actually remove metal from the barrel and not the FSB which is softer metal. Best done with the FSB off the gun.
3. if its a stamped receiver gun then the front trunion can be misaligned and out of spec...and that's beyond my corrective abilities.

callmecamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
issues you might encounter:
1. the FSB wont budge even if you whack the crap out of it. This will require a press to press off the FSB so if you don't have one or know someone that does you might as well take it to a smith. Please note that the only gun that ive ever had to correct a cant on that required a press was a milled Bulgarian arsenal built gun.
2. the amount of rotation needed to correct the cant is too great. If you have to rotate the FSB too far then the milled areas on the barrel will not line up with the FSB and will need to be wollered out. This has to be done carefully as you want to actually remove metal from the barrel and not the FSB which is softer metal. Best done with the FSB off the gun.
3. if its a stamped receiver gun then the front trunion can be misaligned and out of spec...and that's beyond my corrective abilities.

Thanks for the info zg. The gun is actually an Arsenal SLR-107. I believe I'm just going to send it back to Arsenal and hope to God I have it back before Christmas... I found out that they would fix it for me if I ship it to them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom