Todays range experience

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfman1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What absolutely amazed me is this guy had a Norinco mac90 he never shot lol had no clue how to operate it, take it apart or lube it. And thought the gun was the issue. It about 3 minutes I had running, loaded and cycling perfectly.
We all have a learning curve, mine was prety slow, but he should have at least thanked you and offered you a couple shots.

wolfman1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some people are just jerks. I know there have been times when I was a jerk and did not realize it until later. In some instances I have been able to apologize. Sometimes not. Here is hoping he realizes his error, you did the good, right thing.
Dose profoundly cursing yourself for being an incompetent newbie count as 'jerk'?

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shooting at the public range in Wagoner, a young guy with his daughter walked up and sat his gear down on my table. Then he told me I needed to move so my ejected brass didn’t hit his daughter. Because he had a young child with him, I packed up and left. Had he been there alone I’m afraid I wouldn’t have been able to maintain my calm.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had the 200 yd range all to my self early one morning shooting one of my Encore pistol barrels and out of the corner of my eye I see an older pickup pull up to the firing line way down on the opposite end I was on and a fella probably in his late 70's get out with his wife and walk to the firing line with a scoped lever action rifle.

Knowing that he'd want to hang paper I set my gun down and hollered down the range for him to go ahead and go hang his paper.....he waved a thanks and walked down to about the 75 yd. hung his target came back and I yelled, Clear ?, he gave me a thumbs up and we both started shooting.

I was shooting at the 200 yd gongs and again catch movement out of the corner of my eye and with me still firing he was walking downrange to get his target after only firing about six rounds....naturally I stopped shooting and watched as he retrieved his target then loaded his wife and rifle in the truck and drove off.

Still inexcusable but with us being so far apart and on opposite ends of the firing line there is no way that I could have hit him which is probably what he also figured.

I could have written down his tag number and reported him to the club which would have probably gotten him booted from the club for a flagrant safety violation but didn't nor did I want to go storming down the firing line and read the riot act to him and embarrass him in front of his wife.

Last edited:

bas402

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually go to the range early so I don’t have to interact with a lot of people. My experience today. I have paper set up at 50,100&200 shooting my Bergara HMR 308, couple groups of folks show up and young guy starts shooting across lanes at my paper .. WTF are you doing🤦🏻‍♂️ I’m literally shooting tight groups and I’m like hey what the hell? .. then I notice guy messing with an AK (I’m an AK guy) so I’m like hey do you need help he says he’s never shot it before and can’t get the mag in. I look and it’s a Norinco mac90 lol I take it apart real quick and this thing is bone dry. I lube it up give a little advise and gun works perfectly. Not even a thank you and he start mag dumping. Maybe I’m getting anti social now a days but come on people .. I pack my stuff and tell the young fella you should ask before blasting away at other people’s targets and he looks at me with a bewildered look like I was crazy or something. Range day over for me.
What range?

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At Lexington I always stop firing and make sure the new people getting out of their car are aware that shooting is happening and to get ear protection in and wait for them to hang targets.

I talk loud to everyone on the range and make sure everyone is aware what hot and cold mean and live by it and everyone follows right along.

I force everyone to talk or observe each other.
If people bring steel targets to the range or are there shooting steel when I show up I put an end to it.

NO BS when I go shooting and everyone is always happy.

I have had one guy shoot my target but I walked over and told him he did it and he quit shooting it.
Maybe I am scary looking.

Latest posts

Top Bottom