Gov. Rick Perry of Texas Is Indicted on Charge of Abuse of Power

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well this should make their play against Perry interesting:

In State v. Hanson (Tex. Ct. App. 1994), the court held that "coercion of a lawful act by a threat of lawful action is protected free expression." The state alleged that [County Judge Regina Hanson] intentionally and knowingly threatened to terminate the county’s funding of the salaries of a deputy district clerk and an assistant district attorney in an attempt to coerce the district judge into firing the county auditor and the county attorney into revoking a misdemeanant’s probation.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well the entire nation now knows that the Travis Co. DA is an irresponsible alcoholic, so I'd say she's taken a pretty solid hit. As to your other concerns, they still have a public corruption unit, it just isn't being funded by the state. Lehmberg is free to continue her work on her own time, on her own dime and with whatever volunteers are willing to follow her. OR, she is free to step down as she rightfully should and clear the way for a new DA to assume her duties. Apparently that work isn't important enough for her to do the right thing. So who's actually harming the public interests of the State of Texas here?

You're absolutely right that the entire justice system is broken when it comes to enforcing public integrity. The only time it ever happens is when political foes attack their enemies out of spite. That kind of undermines the entire premise. So I agree with your calls for cleaning up the system, but get back to me when Eric Holder indicts ANYONE in the Obama administration that isn't a whistleblower. I didn't lose a dime in this Texas issue, but I sure as hell did on Solyndra, TARP, Cash For Clunkers, Obamacare and a whole laundry list of other rotten, shady deals by the most corrupt administration in U.S. history! :mad:

I just find it amusing that you're so invested in this issue in Texas, while ignoring the much larger issue that's costing all of us here dearly. You doth protest too much methinks. :(

How about the other two DA's who got DUI's under Perry's watch? Kaufman County DA Rick Harrison was arrested for his second DUI in 2009 and Perry didn't try to remove him from office.

How about Terry McEachern (Hale and Swisher Counties as district attorney) who was not only convicted of DUI in 2003 and allowed to stay in office but was also allowed to stay in office after having his law license suspended for the Tulia affair which included using a rouge investigator already under indictment for other crimes and Brady violations that resulted in 38 wrongful convictions and a state payout? Why didn't Perry press for him to be removed? Was it because both those DA's were Republicans?

As to Lehmberg she is still a DA and on the payroll but Perry's veto simply means she will be assigned other duties as there will be no funding for a public corruption unit unless she steps down as DA and allows Perry to pick a replacement, think he'd pick a Republican who wouldn't investigate his program?

Your statement about the system needing cleaned up "but get back to me when Eric Holder indicts ANYONE in the Obama administration" is the very problem we have on both sides, far too many are of the attitude that we'll get all their criminals first and then fix the system and get rid of ours. When in history has the victor ever dealt with it's own wrongs fairly? They don't they just write the history to their liking and go on.

As to my concerns about Texas it's the topic of the of the thread and Perry is interested in the presidency so maybe it should be looked at?

The issues you mentioned, Solyndra, TARP, Cash For Clunkers, Obamacare are all issues that need explored, and out of all of them was TARP was the worst. But the fact is TARP was set up by the treasury to save the banks and Wall Street and signed by Bush. Should we ignore the fact that some of those funds went to foreign banks/investors?

To simply blame Obama and ignore the fact that there was coercion, secret meetings and threats of martial law if TARP wasn't signed and other underlying issues.

A big question remains as to whether the economic world would have really collapsed if TARP wasn't signed or if it was simply a matter of deciding who would win and lose in the "free market"? Maybe what Iceland did and it's results are a clue.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/06/iceland-financial-recovery-banking-collapse

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wasn't aware of the other two DA's. They should've stepped down as well. Perhaps Perry just didn't have anything to wield against them like he did the PIU budget at the state capital? Also, if the PIU mission to get Perry's associated on the cancer research deal was so critical, then why did Lehmberg allow her alcoholism to jeopardize that investigation? She could've taken a leave of absence and gone to rehab. No, she aced Ego 101 and let it endanger her mission. Her complaints fall on deaf ears here.

Justice has been about money and influence for a long time. Sometimes a poor schlep can engender a sympathetic response within the system and prevail, but an assured outcome only comes with money and friends with money. It ain't right, but it's what we have to work with...For now... :(

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What you need to know, the group that filed the complaint is another Democrat front group. As one reporter put it "Texans for Public Justice is not Texas but George Soros, Ralph Nader, and other lefties, they are not public since they will not release the names of their donors, and since the only people they target are Republicans and business leaders there is no justice either.

Far from a “good government foundation,” Texans for Public Justice is a left-wing attack group that seems to issue scathing “crony capitalism” attacks on Texas conservatives just as they prepare to run for national office. It has received funding from George Soros and other left-leaning foundations, as well as an undisclosed list of what the groups leader, Craig McDonald, vaguely calls “some wealthy liberal individuals, including trial lawyers.” McDonald made his political biases quite clear in a recent piece for the New York Times last month, where he criticized Perry’s “embrace of the Christian right and his positions on marriage, abortion, education, environmental protection and health care”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...rges-at-perry/2011/09/21/gIQAfpZhlK_blog.html

As for the other two DAs, you notice anything different between them and el-drunko? Maybe that they are both county DAs and not a state run agency so Perry has no say over them? Nice try but it is still just more lefty politics.

[Broken External Image]

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasn't aware of the other two DA's. They should've stepped down as well. Perhaps Perry just didn't have anything to wield against them like he did the PIU budget at the state capital? Also, if the PIU mission to get Perry's associated on the cancer research deal was so critical, then why did Lehmberg allow her alcoholism to jeopardize that investigation? She could've taken a leave of absence and gone to rehab. No, she aced Ego 101 and let it endanger her mission. Her complaints fall on deaf ears here.

Justice has been about money and influence for a long time. Sometimes a poor schlep can engender a sympathetic response within the system and prevail, but an assured outcome only comes with money and friends with money. It ain't right, but it's what we have to work with...For now... :(

For the record again I'm not defending Lehmberg's actions concerning her DUI. As to why she did what she did I can only guess from some of the things she said in the jail that she thought her position and the rule of "more equal" would get her out of it like it has so many others.

As to the system of justice in America yes it's about money but also often about position and whether you're employed by the Gov. or just a common citizen, kind of like being a friend of the king or the right religion in the old days. Our situation reminds me of two things in particular, the stories from Nazi Germany and the communist countries about people worshiping the party/state and turning their own to get more for themselves, and the article you posted here some time ago...

Understanding The Slave Mentality

In the initial stages of nearly every recorded tyranny, the saucer eyed dumbstruck masses exhibit astonishing and masterful skill when denying reality. The facts behind their dire circumstances and of their antagonistic government become a source of cynical psychological gameplay rather than a source of legitimate concern. Their desperate need to maintain their normalcy bias creates a memory and observation vacuum in which all that runs counter to their false assumptions and preconceptions disappears forever....

http://www.alt-market.com/articles/670-understanding-the-slave-mentality

pen25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
something many dont understand. this particular county is the over seeing authority. if the county elected a republican it would be them in that job. he tried to force someone who was elected by the county residence to resign.

btw she didnt bring charges. it was the grand jury of the county that did. it was also a special prosecutor who is a republican as well as a republican judge that allowed the whole thing to begin with.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For the record again I'm not defending Lehmberg's actions concerning her DUI. As to why she did what she did I can only guess from some of the things she said in the jail that she thought her position and the rule of "more equal" would get her out of it like it has so many others.

As to the system of justice in America yes it's about money but also often about position and whether you're employed by the Gov. or just a common citizen, kind of like being a friend of the king or the right religion in the old days. Our situation reminds me of two things in particular, the stories from Nazi Germany and the communist countries about people worshiping the party/state and turning their own to get more for themselves, and the article you posted here some time ago...

Understanding The Slave Mentality

In the initial stages of nearly every recorded tyranny, the saucer eyed dumbstruck masses exhibit astonishing and masterful skill when denying reality. The facts behind their dire circumstances and of their antagonistic government become a source of cynical psychological gameplay rather than a source of legitimate concern. Their desperate need to maintain their normalcy bias creates a memory and observation vacuum in which all that runs counter to their false assumptions and preconceptions disappears forever....

http://www.alt-market.com/articles/670-understanding-the-slave-mentality

Yep. The old "more equal" still works in some circles, but not in others. It certainly doesn't work in my circle. There are times I wish I had more flexibility for the benefit of others (not just people I know either), but those days are gone. I had to cite the husband of a co-worker the other day. I didn't enjoy it, but it would've been a disservice to everyone else I've cited for the exact same thing. :(

something many dont understand. this particular county is the over seeing authority. if the county elected a republican it would be them in that job. he tried to force someone who was elected by the county residence to resign.

btw she didnt bring charges. it was the grand jury of the county that did. it was also a special prosecutor who is a republican as well as a republican judge that allowed the whole thing to begin with.

Perry didn't defund her DA office, he defunded her statewide "public integrity unit". No other DA in texas has such an office. If the legislature wants to separate the PIU from the Travis Co. DA's office amd make it an elected office (statewide) or appointment by the governor, then they have that ability. Do that and watch the liberal elite in Travis Co. go ballistic. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom