Gov. Rick Perry of Texas Is Indicted on Charge of Abuse of Power

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm going to call this one right now. Perry comes out of this stronger in the polls and with more admirers. I also predict that the Dems will raise huge bank over this from the loyal elite.

Noway. Even if he comes out stronger, he's still not a Natl player. He blew his chance last time. Hes just a noisemaker whos purpose is to keep the spotlight off 2 ir 3 legitimate candidates.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. The old "more equal" still works in some circles, but not in others. It certainly doesn't work in my circle. There are times I wish I had more flexibility for the benefit of others (not just people I know either), but those days are gone. I had to cite the husband of a co-worker the other day. I didn't enjoy it, but it would've been a disservice to everyone else I've cited for the exact same thing. :(

In case I offended you I will rephrase my statement to meet yours, more equal still works in some circles. And I'm talking about felonies as opposed to citations.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In case I offended you I will rephrase my statement to meet yours, more equal still works in some circles. And I'm talking about felonies as opposed to citations.

Oh no, you didn't offend me. Sorry I gave you that impression. I was just illustrating that the "more equal" exemption is on the wane in our society.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh no, you didn't offend me. Sorry I gave you that impression. I was just illustrating that the "more equal" exemption is on the wane in our society.

You didn't give the impression but I wanted to make sure. Maybe it is on the wane but several recent cases and situations here make one wonder.

pen25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. The old "more equal" still works in some circles, but not in others. It certainly doesn't work in my circle. There are times I wish I had more flexibility for the benefit of others (not just people I know either), but those days are gone. I had to cite the husband of a co-worker the other day. I didn't enjoy it, but it would've been a disservice to everyone else I've cited for the exact same thing. :(

Perry didn't defund her DA office, he defunded her statewide "public integrity unit". No other DA in texas has such an office. If the legislature wants to separate the PIU from the Travis Co. DA's office amd make it an elected office (statewide) or appointment by the governor, then they have that ability. Do that and watch the liberal elite in Travis Co. go ballistic. :)
exactly. the public integrity unit is what investigates the gov. its how the texas gov has been setup for a long time and the voters of that county is who voted her into office. he tried to strong arm her into resigning. now with that said again she didnt file any charges. a special prosecutor took it to the grand jury after a judge allowed it. that judge is a republican. the special prosecutor is also a republican from what i heard. so this isnt something that the liberals are behind. this is something that was thought to be questionable and there was enough evidence that the grand jury and prosecutor decided to file charges.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Travis County has the power of extraordinary rendition. Perry will spend the rest of his life in a squalid Turkish prison, and there is nothing decent people can do about it.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
exactly. the public integrity unit is what investigates the gov. its how the texas gov has been setup for a long time and the voters of that county is who voted her into office. he tried to strong arm her into resigning. now with that said again she didnt file any charges. a special prosecutor took it to the grand jury after a judge allowed it. that judge is a republican. the special prosecutor is also a republican from what i heard. so this isnt something that the liberals are behind. this is something that was thought to be questionable and there was enough evidence that the grand jury and prosecutor decided to file charges.

Incorrect. The complaint was filed by a George Soros backed group, allowed by a judge, and the special prosecutor is a liberal who was one time appointed to office by Obama but the Republicans in congress derailed him.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Then why didn't they take established TX caselaw into consideration that pretty much says what he did was legal? Why are most of the legal scholars and even Democrat luminaries saying it's a fool's errand? Why didn't Travis Co. follow TX law and remove her from office?

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to call this one right now. Perry comes out of this stronger in the polls and with more admirers. I also predict that the Dems will raise huge bank over this from the loyal elite.

Exactly. I have already seen some of the fund raising e-mails the Dems are sending out.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well there goes one theory.

Mo Elleithee, communications director for the Democratic National Committee, sent out an email attempting to bolster the allegations against Perry. Elleithee contends that Perry’s veto of money for the Travis County Public Integrity Unit was linked to that unit’s investigation into the Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas (“CPRIT”).

Elleithee argues that the investigation of CPRIT “was underway when the governor called for the head of that investigative unit to resign.” By pushing Rosemary Lehmberg (the drunk and disorderly Travis County District Attorney) to resign, Perry created a “win-win” for himself, says Elleithee. “Lehmberg either resigned and he appointed her successor or he vetoed the [Public Integrity Unit's] funding. Both would have the same effect: stopping the investigation into the CPRIT its tracks.”

Why would Perry want to stop the CPRIT investigation? Because, the theory goes, his appointees were under investigation for helping Peloton Therapeutics obtain a grant without proper review. A Peloton investor had contributed to Perry’s campaigns.

But the Austin American-Statesman, a strongly left-leaning newspaper, undercuts Elleithee’s narrative:

Elleithee’s email. . .left out some key details about the CPRIT investigation - including that two months before Lehmberg’s arrest, she told reporters that none of Perry’s appointees to the CPRIT board were “under suspicion in the investigation.”

Lehmberg made this statement in January 2013. It meant that her investigation was focusing only on CPRIT staff members, none of whom was appointed or hired by Perry. And Perry knew this when he vetoed the funding months later.

Furthermore, the American-Statesman points out that Perry’s veto did not have the effect of stopping the investigation into the CPRIT. Perry vetoed state funding for the Public Integrity Unit in June 2013. The investigation continued, producing an indictment of CPRIT commercialization chief Jerry Cobbs in January of this year. Lehmberg says that no other indictments are expected.

In sum: (1) when Perry vetoed funding for the Public Integrity Unit, he knew that it wasn’t investigating his appointees, (2) the veto did not halt the investigation or prevent the PIU from issuing indictments, and (3) the sleazy and dishonest attack on Gov. Perry by the Democratic National Committee is too much for the liberal Austin American-Statesman to stomach.

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/new...btomystatesman_launch#dc5364f7.3660112.735464

Latest posts

Top Bottom