Grandpa 4, Groundhogs 0

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveOhio

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I had to send 4 groundhogs to woodchuck heaven today. I used my Ruger 10-22 with subsonic .22 LR. While it was quieter than normal .22 LR, it would probably be better if I bought a suppressor since groundhogs seem to think my property is a woodchuck amusement park. I don't want to panic any neighbors. Anybody have any recommendations on which suppressor might work well for that purpose? How about recommendations for which a .22 rifle that comes with a threaded barrel? Any hints or tips appreciated because I have zero suppressor experience.

Jgreen30

Marksman
Reaction score
I've got a silencerco spectre 2 and a dead air mask and both are awesome. Cz makes several bolt 22s with threaded barrels that look nice. I've got a cheap savage bolt 22 with a threaded barrel that I bought for like $200 several years ago that's worked great and I recently picked up a bergara with a threaded carbon fiber barrel that is pretty nice. Since you already have a 10/22 you could pick up another one of them that's threaded or an American if you wanted a bolt gun and they'd take the same mags as your 10/22.

SteveOhio

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a silencerco spectre 2 and a dead air mask and both are awesome. Cz makes several bolt 22s with threaded barrels that look nice. I've got a cheap savage bolt 22 with a threaded barrel that I bought for like $200 several years ago that's worked great and I recently picked up a bergara with a threaded carbon fiber barrel that is pretty nice. Since you already have a 10/22 you could pick up another one of them that's threaded or an American if you wanted a bolt gun and they'd take the same mags as your 10/22.
Jgreen30, thanks for the info! I think that is good advice on another 10/22 with threaded barrel since I have several toys for mine that would also work for the suppressed version. I'll look into those suppressors you mentioned as well! Thanks again!

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You’ve been given plenty of suggestions on the rifle so I won’t go there. I have a SilencerCo Sparrow (my one and only suppressor) and it’s quiet as a mouse with CCI Suppressor ammo which is just under the speed of sound. Not sure how other suppressors are but the internals of mine are all stainless steel and clean up easily. It will also work in WMR and 17HMR. Don’t think I’d personally go with a 10/22 because it will be a bit louder and I’m not sure how reliably it will function with sub-sonic ammunition.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I had to send 4 groundhogs to woodchuck heaven today. I used my Ruger 10-22 with subsonic .22 LR. While it was quieter than normal .22 LR, it would probably be better if I bought a suppressor since groundhogs seem to think my property is a woodchuck amusement park. I don't want to panic any neighbors. Anybody have any recommendations on which suppressor might work well for that purpose? How about recommendations for which a .22 rifle that comes with a threaded barrel? Any hints or tips appreciated because I have zero suppressor experience.

Here is a comparison between 22lr High Velocity and CCI Quiets from a bolt action with a 24" barrel. I loaded a 10rd mag alternating HV and Quiets.

Cycling the action is louder than the report from the Quiets.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom