Greek surplus .30-06

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cutting the pocket is just cutting the very top of it and the primer cup is not squared at the top it is rounded and does not touch that area until you fire the thing off and pressure pushes the primer cup into that area.
I have had no issues with cut pockets.
RCBS Swager just did not make the hole large enough.

Try chamfering the hole on a few cases and prime them and shoot them and see if that is good enough for you or not.

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. I know I chamfered some! I’m paying the price of laying something down for too long and having to remember where I left off. I know I had a firmed-up opinion but thousands of cases later not a one in the interim has been military or .308. Appreciate the feedback.

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Those of you that reload the HXP Greek surplus brass....what are you using to get rid of the primer crimp?
I don't know anything about HXP brass but I have used everything from a philips screw driver, drill bit, and now and for a long time I have a metal lathe center drill with the tip broken off that works just peachy chucked up in a drill and held in a vice while I touch the pockets enough to create a light chamfer that allows primers to center and slip right in = done 000s 223, 308, 3006 and never an issue

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I did my first hundred with RCBS swager die. I won’t look forward to the next 500. Gonna have to experiment with the reemer approach even if Leaving all the brass in place sounds great.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
RCBS Military Crimp Remover with an adaptor to fit into an electric screwdriver.
31pA1nn2OrL.jpg

sm_RE09110-WEB.jpg
This is about the best design out there IMO. The cutting tip is conical to avoid damaging the primer pocket sidewalls, self centering and ends with a countersink that flares the pocket for easier primer insertion.
Unfortunately the execution of the design is poor, the cutter takes too long and dulls too soon. If they had made it to bite more and had better heat treatment, TiN coating or made it out of carbide, it would be perfect.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have tried several methods and the best so far is the RCBS deburring tool.
I just got a 60 degree (included angle) countersink tip that shows promise with limited testing and also a small rotary file.
The search continues.

Catswithguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I did my first hundred with RCBS swager die. I won’t look forward to the next 500. Gonna have to experiment with the reemer approach even if Leaving all the brass in place sounds great.
I’ve got a Dillon swager I haven’t used in a long time. If you give me a deposit, I’ll loan it to you and give the deposit back when you return it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom