Gun Counter Idiots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just as a public service announcement, if you work at a sporting good store gun counter, and don't know what you are talking about, don't just say random things that you think sound good. Things like "Oh, those will kill them" or "That will go through anybody" or "That's all you need" aren't really the thing to say when pitching the ONE type of self defense ammo you carry. And, I wasn't feeling well, that's why I gave such a sarcastic reply.

chr_edw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would rather someone say "I don't know" than make something up or just give a non educated opinion. Some are worse than others, but there was an idiot at WM once that asked me when asking for a box of 22's if it was for a ruger. I said yes it was. He then said "those can make it back-fire", I then proceeded to ask him what he meant by backfire. Well he did not know :hithead: . I then told him there was no such thing in a firearm. Then I checked out for the ammo. Holy crap I hate people who have to say something when they have no idea. Just get the ammo and check me out. I don't even care if you say a word at WM.

Sorry but I decided to rant.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I asked what they had in self defense ammo for a 9mm, he reached into the counter and pulled out a box of Hornady CD 9mm. I held out my hand, expecting to see the box so I could see what the grain weight was, and velocity etc. He sets the box down, opens it and proceeds to hand me a single round. I told him I just wanted to see the specs on the box, that's when he says "oh, they'll go through anybody" I shrugged off that comment and read the label, they weren't what I was looking for so I started to hand the box back when he decided to tell me how lethal they were, I asked him if they had anything else he told me "no, that's all you would need though" I told him how happy I was that he was such an expert, got some 22 mag ammo and left.

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I asked what they had in self defense ammo for a 9mm, he reached into the counter and pulled out a box of Hornady CD 9mm. I held out my hand, expecting to see the box so I could see what the grain weight was, and velocity etc. He sets the box down, opens it and proceeds to hand me a single round. I told him I just wanted to see the specs on the box, that's when he says "oh, they'll go through anybody" I shrugged off that comment and read the label, they weren't what I was looking for so I started to hand the box back when he decided to tell me how lethal they were, I asked him if they had anything else he told me "no, that's all you would need though" I told him how happy I was that he was such an expert, got some 22 mag ammo and left.

Those .22 mag rounds you bought would probably "go through anybody" human flesh doesn't have a good resistance to a bullet. Some peoples kids I tell ya, obviously you knew what you were looking for and this dolt didn't know his ass from his elbow in the ammunition world.

MLRyan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The average salesman assumes that you don't know about the product in question. The good saleman realizes that they don't know about the product in question and finds a salesman that does...

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is sad is when you get a customer and clerk that no nothing as a team. I was in a store and heard a young man ask the clerk if 45 acp and 45 colt were the same. The clerk thought they would both work. I was stunned. My wife told me I should help. I asked the kid what gun he was trying to get ammo for and all he knew was it was a semi auto. Kinda scared me a bit. :D I could not think of a semi that shoots 45 colt so I suggested he try the ACP stuff. I hope it worked out for him.

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guy at the range gave me a box of Win. ST in 45 LC because some expert at WM sold him ammo for his 45 auto.
I've heard the same thing happen with 357 mag for 357 sig as well as 38 super for special.
Doesn't say much for seller or buyer.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just as a public service announcement, if you work at a sporting good store gun counter, and don't know what you are talking about, don't just say random things that you think sound good. Things like "Oh, those will kill them" or "That will go through anybody" or "That's all you need" aren't really the thing to say when pitching the ONE type of self defense ammo you carry. And, I wasn't feeling well, that's why I gave such a sarcastic reply.

I'm the sure guy was like 452nd degree black belt in Jungdingurate and would never dream of using any weapon but his pinkie toe.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom