Gun oil vs Motor Oil on your guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1698965571800.png

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where things swivel or on pinned joints where there isn’t any heat I use a 100% silicon lube that’s actually for a treadmill. For the inside of the barrel and all exterior surfaces I use BreakFree and on sliding surfaces like semi-autos and action slides (pumps) on shotguns I use this stuff called STOS, stands for “Slicker Than Owl Sh**”. Invented by a couple of trap/skeet shooters for screw chokes. A little bit goes a long way and I’m sure the small jar I have will last my lifetime.

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Breakfree CLP. The military has been using it for 4 decades. Its a high performer in all catagories. Not the best. But it is consistant across the board. Some oils that tought this that and the other will perform great on one or two catagories such as friction tests and wear tests but will totally fail in freezing temps and other catagories.
Breakfree CLP does NOT do all 3 well ,,project farm tested a bunch of products that claimed to do every thing ,and none did all very well,, including Breakfree CLP...best to get a good cleaner, and then a good lube /protector.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started using 0-20 full synthetic motor oil on my firearms in place of Lucas Gun Oil. I haven't noticed any issues so far.

The argument that got me to switch was that if I trust the motor oil for thousands or revolutions per minute in a machine that costs thousands of dollars why wouldn't it be good enough for my guns that only have to endure at most hundreds of cycles a day and cost just hundreds of dollars.

The conditions found in a firearm seems much less demanding that the conditions found in the block of an engine. I know there is a lot of slick marketing behind really expensive gun oils. Also to my knowledge there is no third party agency that establishes minimum standards for gun oil as the API, ILSAC does for motor oil.

I'm curious what you all think of this topic.

Here's what I use on ARs.

There are a ton of different lubes you can use on handguns.

I think the only drawback I've seen mentioned with regards to using motor oil is the lack of corrosion additives.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Breakfree CLP does NOT do all 3 well ,,project farm tested a bunch of products that claimed to do every thing ,and none did all very well,, including Breakfree CLP...best to get a good cleaner, and then a good lube /protector.
I disagree, lubes are tested with 7 catagories and CLP Breakfree performs well to adiquate in all 7.

Latest posts

Top Bottom