gun questions for the wife.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OU Gunner

Marksman
Reaction score
My wife is 5'2'' and pretty weak however she wants to get one or two guns. One for a CCW and another for home defense. I mentioned a revolver and a shotgun. However she is unable to pump my mossberg 500. Are there any easier to cycle shotguns? Are there any easy trigger pull revolvers out there?

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Revolver, none that my wife could use easily, haven't tried a shotgun yet need to get a youth 20 ga & try. I ended up getting her a Walther PK380. Has a lock breach barrel & a steel slide, She can pull the 1st shot DA & then the others are SA. The slide is not that difficult to opperate also

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought this was gonna be "Honey, can I please buy that gun?"

Anyway, she can't cycle a pump? I could see it getting hung a little if she was trying to do it gently or slowly. I don't think they get any easier than a mossberg. Would a foregrip help?

I have to wonder how she's going to handle recoil if trigger pull is a concern.

ber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try the ruger LCR it seems to have a lighter trigger than most revolvers. As for a shot gun try an automatic instead of a pump.

Kimber.45

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My wife has a S&W 9mm Compact. It works great for her. Very little recoil and it comes with interchangeable handgrips for those with smaller hands.

okiemaggie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have you taken her to a store where she could try a youth model? They are shorter stocked and usually available in 20ga, which is kinder on the shoulder. I can't cycle my hubbie's Remington comfortably because it's just too long in the stock, but the youth model is no problem.

If you go for a S&W "K" frame revolver, have an action job done and Mikulek springs installed, if you can get them. There are probably other types of light flat springs but this is what we got and it makes the trigger pull alot lighter and still provides a solid hammer blow to the firing pin.

Are auto's out of the question? Can't beat a nice Glock 17 or 19. Light trigger, easy to point and shoot, 9mm pretty easy on the felt recoil. Lots of threads on here about guns for gals. Search through the thread history.

OU Gunner

Marksman
Reaction score
Autos arent out of the question however her dexterity or strength to pull a slide is limited. I had a Glock 23 and she couldnt pull back the slide. I will have her try a youth model. Thanks

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The LCR definitely has a lighter trigger than other revolvers. The only other viable choice for someone with poor grip strength would be to find a Beretta 86 Cheetah or the Browning equivalent. They feature tip up barrels for loading the chamber, so the slide doesn't have to be racked by hand. You could also look at the older Colt Mustang or gov't model .380's. They would have nice single action triggers and fire from a locked breach for lighter recoil. You'd still have the issues with racking the slide, but only for loading from empty, which wouldn't need to be done often.

Kimber.45

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What model S&W 9 Compact is it the M&P? The Walther p380 and LCR I will have her try that. Does it jam allot? What are good holsters for the LCR and Walther?

It's the M&P. We've put a hundred or more rounds through it and it hasn't jammed once. A good holster for it would be a WRB holster.

http://www.wrbss.com/holsters.html

Not sure about holsters for the p3at or the LCR. I had a p3at and just stuck it in my pocket.

Latest posts

Top Bottom