Any safe recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want a safe, look into safe ratings. Most gun safes are light and easily defeated. UL safes with TRTL30x6, TRTL30x6, or even TXTL60x6 ratings will protect your stuff like no other safe.

TRTL = torch and tool resistant. TXTL is torch, tool, and explosive resistant. 30 and 60 are minutes they can stand up to the attacks. x6 means the protection is on all 6 sides of the safe.

Be aware a safe with these rating that could hold multiple long guns will start at 4,000 lbs and can go well over 10,000 pounds. Used units costs $5k plus. I've seen new units over $75k. I'm still waiting on the lottery.
Not attempting to take over the thread but I’ll go ahead and ask…… which brand are you referring too? Just asking for a friend.

KroyWen

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Armor Vault in OKC. Made in Oklahoma. Keyed. No back door and according to him he’ll open it if compelled. But only if compelled and not with a key. He has to cut them open, but he cuts them all to hell & back so LE doesn’t know how to cut one open themselves. Might be BS, but that’s what he told me. He also said he’s never had a successful breach as long as he’d been making safes.
I called Armor Vault couple years ago and they told me that they were no longer making safes & were now a dispensary. They , like Bear , make very solid key only safes. Glad they are back in business.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an Amsec BF7250 that I keep my machineguns and more expensive stuff in. I also have a Liberty 72x50 that holds the overflow. There is a huge difference in quality. Those shopping at Tractor Supply or Dick's for a safe, aren't Amsec buyers. If you're shopping for an $800 safe, the one posted is as good as any of the others. I wouldn't buy an electronic lock at that price point though. I have electronic locks, but it's a higher price point with better locks.

Bear makes a good (secure) product, but let's be real here. They get a lot of love in this forum because they are a local company. If they were made in Idaho, no one would care about them. They are pretty expensive for what you get. For the same money, you can get something with better interior and finish that's tested.

KroyWen

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an Amsec BF7250 that I keep my machineguns and more expensive stuff in. I also have a Liberty 72x50 that holds the overflow. There is a huge difference in quality. Those shopping at Tractor Supply or Dick's for a safe, aren't Amsec buyers. If you're shopping for an $800 safe, the one posted is as good as any of the others. I wouldn't buy an electronic lock at that price point though. I have electronic locks, but it's a higher price point with better locks.

Bear makes a good (secure) product, but let's be real here. They get a lot of love in this forum because they are a local company. If they were made in Idaho, no one would care about them. They are pretty expensive for what you get. For the same money, you can get something with better interior and finish that's tested.
Do your own research, Bear ( & Armor Vault ) are unique, solid, & unique in the marketplace. Search the states to see other like made safes, you’ll be hard pressed. For the money, nothing compares to the security you will get. I have no skin in the game. Has nothing to do with emotions, like love.
What increases any safes’ security is “ bolt it down to the floor “ so it can’t be slid or tipped over. Bolting / screwing the back of it to a wooden 2x4 in the wall is useless. IMHO

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Bear was a great deal when I bought mine 15 years ago. No idea what their pricing is now.

I didn’t then and still don’t care for looks over function. Interior was functional, it is ugly, same with the outside.

RC2469

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not attempting to take over the thread but I’ll go ahead and ask…… which brand are you referring too? Just asking for a friend.
ISM, Tann, Chubb... type in trtl or txtl safes on your favorite search engine. Cool yes. Effective yes. Practical for someone of my means no.

Catswithguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you don’t have a monitored alarm system, it doesn’t matter what kind of safe you have. With today’s battery powered saws and unlimited time, they will get in it. Slowing a thief down and limiting his time is the best deterent. The guy at Amourvault told me years ago that thieves drilled a hole in one and filled it with water before they cut it open with a torch.

Latest posts

Top Bottom