Hand gun/Pistol cleaning question,

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomermet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a small compressor to help clean my semi autos and I guess revolver. Right now I spray the slide innards with CLP and have been using canned air to blow off the residue but not much power there. Have look at some from Home Depot..Anyone got any experience that might save me some money so that I can spend more on essentials like ammo, mags, range time etc?

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go buy a cleaning kit from wal-mart and some cleaning brushes. Get a can of Break Free, spray it down, and scrub it off. Your firearms will be much cleaner this way. An air compressor won't get the built up carbon off. You will probably get out cheaper this way anyways. You spent your hard earned money on your firearms, spend some time cleaning them correctly.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:grumble:
Go buy a cleaning kit from wal-mart and some cleaning brushes. Get a can of Break Free, spray it down, and scrub it off. Your firearms will be much cleaner this way. An air compressor won't get the built up carbon off. You will probably get out cheaper this way anyways. You spent your hard earned money on your firearms, spend some time cleaning them correctly.
:doh:

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
a old toothbrush and some elbow grease will clean a lot more "gun" that compressed air will. Cleaning a gun is a lot lke cleaning a toilet... you just can't look at it... ya got to get your hands dirty.

boomermet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me rephrase myself query for those that didn't understand it. After I spray it with Break Free CLP and use my toothbrush to scrub the build up on the under side of the slide, after I use my q tips to get most of the stuff out, I then spray some canned air to get the rest out that I can reach other wise. Most of the videos I have seen, here and on UTube use a squirt of air to finish up, dry the area up. I have all the cleaning stuff, wife will testify, I need, from break free, hoppes, boresnake, rods etc.. I just thought someone would have a recommendation for an air compressor. I also want to use it to inflate things and also, if it works, to use to power a light weight nail gun. So there, sorry I seemed so elementary in my questions. Back to the Smith and Wesson Forum....

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually used to clean like that untill I was scolded and found out about the carbon build up you cant spray off.
to your orig ?? i have the dewalt portable ..about $299 at home depot for those other things.
Of course then theres the big comp for tire and air powered tools.
I think you can get the small finish nailer free with some of the portable compressor deals.

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

boomermet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do the same after cleaning my guns. Try Harbor Freight and use a 25% off coupon http://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...psi-oilless-pancake-air-compressor-95275.html. ALDI has compressors for a good price sometimes as well as WalMart. Size depends on what you want to inflate. I have a Campbell Hausfeld 3 Gal. Horizontal Air Compressor that has been pretty good car tire inflation and cleaning guns http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...ooglebase-_-D25X-_-203002168&locStoreNum=3904.

Thanks for the help. Didn't see the CH one at Home Depot when I looked. Thats in my price range and should work. I didn't use any spray cleaners like Break Free until I got some semi autos. I could reach everything on my 686 with ease. My M&P 9 is easy if I don't take the slide off, just run my boresnake down the barrel and ready to go. Also use the Hoppes bore gel with a swab. When I spayed the break free on the slide innards and brush what I could I could see I couldn't reach everything, so air was the fix. I guess if I don't get all the break free out it can't hurt.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
nothing can replace a detail strip, clean, and inspection.

a field stripping and clean, is all you need to do between detail stripping. I could see where compressed air could hurt build up of gunk and crud rather than flush it out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom