Help from you Jeep/wheel and tire experts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
it would be hard for me to take a 30k+ vehicle and wheel it hard enough to have fun. so for me a lift, wheels would be for looks.

I would run 33's and stay stock

I'm in between. I don't hesitate to turn down a muddy tree lined road with deep ruts and some rocks here and there. But I'm not ready to take my 2012 JKUS rock crawling to bend, twist, gouge and break. I've had it out a few times already to a river bed and around two lakes winding up covered in mud and a few light scratches. I love doing that. Several years from now I may get a different vehicle, keep this one and do things a bit more offroad capable with it. Something like 35-36 inch tires, 4 inch lift, stubby bumper, etc. But for now the 33's and 1.5 coil lift is great for me. It's surprising what it can do on rough and deeply rutted roads. The duratracs alone are awesome in the mud. Compared to when I had Goodrich AT T/A's it's night and day. In fact it's a bit of a bummer because I need the 4WD about half as often as with the Goodrich's.

About the new Pentastar engine and new transmission. I have an old CJ-7 and have driven a 2007 JKU a few times. The new engine and transmission combo starting in 2012 is amazing. Don't listen to all the so called "hard core, long time Jeepers" out there. My 2012 makes child's play out of things I had to struggle with in my CJ. I have no intention of selling my CJ because of the whole childhood nostalgia thing. But the new configuration Wrangler feels to me like the best Wrangler created so far.

FYI for Budman. I have the 3.21 diff gearset and the 33's work just fine. I suppose If I were to get into rock crawling or some other low speed stuff I would want 3.73's or 4.10's but that's just a guess. The extra power of the Pentastar and the gearing of the new transmission makes 33's no problem on the road.

TMLoftis

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always been a fan of the ARB front bumpers.

i45.photobucket.com_albums_f60_whitethunder07_d3d568dc.jpg

DrBaker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man I love the look of that bumper, not really wanting a winch right now but I think it will still look good with out one.

Hey anyone ran nitto terra grapplers?

I have had excellent results with Nitto Terra Grapplers. If you want something that works for a daily driver, bad weather, light off road use, etc.... This is a great tire with long tread wear.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is my 2012 JKU Sport before wheels, tires, lift. The windows have been tinted in this photo.

i879.photobucket.com_albums_ab360_panuccis_Recreation_Jeep_2012JK6.jpg

This is with the new tires/rims but stock suspension.

i879.photobucket.com_albums_ab360_panuccis_Recreation_Jeep_2012JK2.jpg

This was taken right after having the Teraflex 1.5 Performance Coil Leveling Kit. I had run this tire/rim combination for a couple months before the lift install. They are 16" Gear Alloy Blackjacks with 285/75R16 Goodyear Duratracs. I like the set up a lot.

i879.photobucket.com_albums_ab360_panuccis_Recreation_Jeep_MyJeep.jpg

BUDMAN-BILL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where would be a good/cheap place to order aftermarket parts like rear hitch, nerf bars and that warn fron bumper on line? I also wanted to say, thanks for all your help.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is where I'm at with my jeep, tell me what ya think
i375.photobucket.com_albums_oo196_budman_bill_104_1171.jpg

It needs some Zombie Blood-spatter :D Very nice though.

I ran Mickey Thompson ATZ tires on mine with Liquid Metal 17" Wheels. Whatever you do - get yourself some Bilstein Gas Shocks and an Old Man Emu front steering stabilizer pronto (you'll notice a massive difference in ride with those wheels/tires). Also, I've heard that folks are springing door-hinges by putting a big-fat spare on the factory mount. Not sure if it's true or not, but a back bumper with a spare-mount might be on the list at some point man.

Here's my old 08 (factory suspension except for the shocks/steering-stabilizer - Rugged Ridge Front bumper - I like them and they make one with a Winch tray):

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Jeep_DSCN9179.jpg

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Jeep_DSCN9181.jpg

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Jeep_DSCN9183.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom